× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Boot Problem

Retak
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Boot Problem

At some point during the day yesterday it was noticed that our ReadyNAS Duo could no longer be accessed via wireless connection.  I did not set up this system and don't know what type of RAID setup was used.  

Here are my observations:

* The power button light was blinking slowly.  No other LED lights came on.  The fan was running.

* The power button wouldn't shut the unit down; instead it had to be unplugged.

* I removed the discs and attempted to connect them to a Windows computer to see if I could retrieve the data using a data recovery program.  

• Disc A wasn't recognized and was making clicking sounds (disc failure, I assume).  
  • Disc B was and a recovery program was able to scan it partially and see some of the files, but kept hanging up.

* When I tried to boot the NAS with only disc B present, the following happened:

• The power botton light stayed on, and the other LEDs blinked rapidly three times and then then slowly twice.
  • RAIRar said no discs were detected. 

* When I tried to boot the NAS with only disc A present, the following happened:

• The power botton light blinked at a medium rate and the other four LEDs blinked rapdily three times and then slowly three times.
  • RAIRar said there was a corrupt root. 

* When I tried to boot the NAS with both discs A and B present, the following happened:

• The power botton light blinked slowly.
  • RAIRar said it could not find the NAS device.

* When I put a brand new disk in the enclosure, it was recognized and initiialized.

My number one concern is to recover the data.  Getting the device working again would be nice, but not essential.  I don't want to play too much with it any more if disc A is failing.

Do you all have any suggestions?

My number one concern is to recover the data.  Getting the device working again would be nice, but not essential.

Many, many thanks!

Model: ReadyNASRND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Boot Problem

Hello Retak,

I understand you have been contacted by one of the support team. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Retak wrote:

* When I tried to boot the NAS with only disc B present, the following happened:

• The power botton light stayed on, and the other LEDs blinked rapidly three times and then then slowly twice.
  • RAIRar said no discs were detected. 

* When I tried to boot the NAS with only disc A present, the following happened:

• The power botton light blinked at a medium rate and the other four LEDs blinked rapdily three times and then slowly three times.
  • RAIRar said there was a corrupt root.  

The LED decoder ring is here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324

The blinking patterns match RAIDar.

When you booted with disc B, was it in slot 2?  If not, perhaps try that again, using slot 2.

One of the disks is the primary disk (normally that would be disk A, but that depends on the history).  The second disk is a "parity disk" - a mirror in the case of the duo (assuming RAID-1 or XRAID).  But there's a catch - the data volume is mirrored to an area of the disk that has no partition.  That makes recovery from disk B more difficult.

Was disk A clicking in the Duo?  Or just the PC?

One option is to contact Netgear and ask them about a data recovery contract.  Data Recovery is expensive (US pricing starts at $200) and it is not guaranteed.  But they of course have the most expertise.

What recovery program were you using?  Some have used R-Linux for Windows, other's ReclaiMe.  It might be worth trying both.  Cloning the disk(s) and working with the clones might be safest.

Message 2 of 10
Retak
Aspirant

Many thanks Stephen!

I had seen that decoder ring (this info is hard to find) and the blinking codes did indeed match.

When you booted with disc B, was it in slot 2?  If not, perhaps try that again, using slot 2.

Yes, it was in slot 2.  I can't remember if I tried it in slot 1 and I don't know if it's a good idea.

Was disk A clicking in the Duo?  Or just the PC?

Just the PC.  At least I couldn't hear it clicking while it was in the enclosure, but now that I think about it, I don't think I listened for it with the door open.

What recovery program were you using?  Some have used R-Linux for Windows, other's ReclaiMe.  It might be worth trying both.  

I had the most success with ReclaiMe.  I tried two other commercial programs, but they wouldn't do anything without both discs.  ReclaiMe was willing to scan just the one disc (B) and it did pick up at least some files, but it kept hanging up.  I was using a SATA to USB adapter and the disc also occasionally got disconnected.  I'm not sure why (I tried two adapters), but it was worrisome.  I've contacted ReclaiMe to ask about this problem and if they can get data off a single disc.

I have not tried R-Linux, but I will look at that.

Cloning the disk(s) and working with the clones might be safest.

Yeah, I'd like to do this.  Do you know if it's possible to do so within the Windows environment?  I don't have a Linux computer handy, although I could set up a partition if needed.  I have minimal experience with Linux commands, however.

> One option is to contact Netgear and ask them about a data recovery contract.  Data Recovery is expensive (US pricing starts at $200) and it is not guaranteed.  But they of course have the most expertise.

I will look into this as well, as it's very important -- thanks!

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Retak wrote:

Cloning the disk(s) and working with the clones might be safest.

Yeah, I'd like to do this.  Do you know if it's possible to do so within the Windows environment? 

You can - just make sure the cloning program you use supports sector-by-sector copy.  Most do.

Mileage varies here, since some programs are better at extracting data from damaged disks than others.  Unfortunately I don't have enough recent experience with reading damaged disks to have a recommendation.  

Working with cloned disks eliminates any chance that you will do damage that reduces the odds of recovery later.

Message 4 of 10
Retak
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen!

Are there any cloning programs in particular that you'd recommend looking at?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Retak wrote:

Are there any cloning programs in particular that you'd recommend looking at?

I have used EaseUS tools, but not for this particular purpose.  But they do claim sector-by-sector copy mode.

If you want to take a look, here's a link: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/index.htm

Message 6 of 10
Retak
Aspirant

Thanks again!

You mentioned Netgear's data recovery program.  I did find this: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service?cid=wmt_netgear_organi..., and I might not be searching hard enough, but I have no idea how to even contact them about setting something like this up.  Do you happen to know how I could do that?

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

start with my.netgear.com and then ask (perhaps in a support request).  @mdgm can probably facilitate a connection if that doesn't work.

Message 8 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Retak,

Were you able to get hold of one of the support people?

Regards,

Message 9 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Retak,

I understand you have been contacted by one of the support team. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements