× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 - Synology DS1517+ transfer using rsync

fitwizard
Tutor

ReadyNAS Duo V2 - Synology DS1517+ transfer using rsync

So I've finally upgraded to a new NAS (Synology DS1517+) and need to transfer about 3TB of files across from my ReadyNAS Duo V2.

A mate said to use rsync, but I haven't been able to get it working via a backup task on the Duo.

Do I need to use an SSH terminal?

Is there a guide for dummies somewhere?

Cheers!

Model: RND2000v2 (ReadyNAS Duo v2)|READYNAS DUO v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

I doubt you'll find a how-to that covers those two products.  rsync is a standard Linux protocol.  It's a client-server protocol, so you need to have it set up on both the source and destination.  It's hard to say which end(s) are causing your problems, especially since you gave no details.

On the destination, you need to make sure it's set up as an rsync server to both send and receive via rsync (read only is often the default) for the device overall and the destination share and set the user name and password to be used.

Setting up an rsync "push" job from the DuoV2 to another Linux client is pretty easy.  Create a backup specifying the source share and the destination as "rsync server".  Then fill in the details for the destination on the area to the right and verify the connection is good using the test button.  Then, just run the job.

Message 2 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

Hi SandShark,

On the Synology:

I have enabled the rsync service under File Services

do I need to enable the rsync account and if so edit any of the account settings?

do I need to set any advanced permissions on the shared folder for rsync to work?

On the ReadyNAS:

rsync protocol is enabled on the share I am testing

I've created a backup task with the share as the source

I assume that if no path is specified it will copy everything?

backup destination is type remote, name remote: Rsync server, host is ds1517 (the name of my new nas on the network)

if I test connection it says "successfully connected to ds1517" and when I run the task it completes successfully but no files are copied

do I need to set login and password?

if not, what account does it use to connect?

admin account is disabled

guest account is enabled and has read/write access to my test folder

cheers

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Try specifying a specific share on the ReadyNAS (in the path), and run the job again.

Message 4 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

Hi Stephen,

The share is specified in the name field: "share: test". see attached screen shot

I tried specifying a source folder "crap" in the path but it still doesn't work

if I put the same folder name in the destination path the "test connection" fails "cannot connect to host" and the job fails

here's the log:

=================================

FULL Backup started. Wed Jun 30 22:26:20 EST 2021

Job: temp
Protocol: rsync
Source: [test]/crap
Destination: ds1517::crap

@Error: Unknown module 'crap'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]

Backup failed. Wed Jun 30 22:26:20 EST 2021.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /test/crap ==> ds1517::crap due to unknown reason. Please see log.

=================================

Message 5 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

And does the log give any other information?

It does not appear that you have specified a destination share on the Synology.  Unfortunately, I don't think the "test connection" verifies that the target share is available or that the user has the necessary permissions in that folder.  But for now, don't try anything for the user and password, just add the destination share and path.  An rsync copy always needs a destination, even if the protocol is only enabled for a single share.

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to backup "test" without specifying the "crap" subfolder.

Your problem appears to be on the Synology side - you need to specify a folder as the destination there.  The synology forum might be able to help you out on that part.  There is a note here: 

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/How_to_back_up_Linux_computer_to_Synology_NAS wrote:
  1. If other people want to perform rsync backup from a client that is not Synology NAS, they can only do so using a user account with rsync privileges on your Synology NAS. You can go to Control Panel >User to create a user named rsync, and modify its privileges so that you can use it for sharing.

So it looks like you do need to set up a user account on the synology, and then enter that username/password on the ReadyNAS backup job.

You can also enable rsync for the share on the ReadyNAS, and try running rsync on the synology (using the ReadyNAS share as the source).

Message 7 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

ok, I've setup a user with read/write access and entered Log in and Password in the backup job

how can I specify a distination folder/share on the Synology?

which field do I use in the ReadNAS backup job?

I tried using ds1517/test and ds1517:test in the Host field, and it says "your entries contains errors"

also tried test,/test,\test in the Path field, no good

Message 8 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

You put the destination path in the box labeled "Path" in the backup job.  That can be a share alone, or a share and folder in it.  On the Synology side, you need to make sure rsync is enabled for that share.

Message 9 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

the rsync service in enabled in file services, but there doesn't seem to be a way of enabling it for a specific share?

Message 10 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, I'm not familiar with Synology's way fo doing it, or if it's even necessary as it would be on a ReadyNAS.  But have you specified the path in the backup job and it still doesn't work?

Message 11 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

No. Still no good
Message 12 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

Error encountered copying data from source path /test/ ==> ds1517::test due to unknown reason. Please see log.
Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@fitwizard wrote:

the rsync service in enabled in file services, but there doesn't seem to be a way of enabling it for a specific share?

Are you asking about the ReadyNAS or the Synology?

You shouldn't need to enable it on the ReadyNAS share if you are running rsync on the ReadyNAS.  But you should see the control for that on configure->shares.  See page 34 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiat...

Message 14 of 17
fitwizard
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@fitwizard wrote:

Are you asking about the ReadyNAS or the Synology?

Synology

You shouldn't need to enable it on the ReadyNAS share if you are running rsync on the ReadyNAS.  But you should see the control for that on configure->shares.  See page 34 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiat...

do I need to change any of the share settings? (see attached)

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@fitwizard wrote:
do I need to change any of the share settings? (see attached)

Not is you are running the rsync backup job on the ReadyNAS.

Your error could be on the synology side - are you also asking in the synology forums (or trying synology support)?

Note that while rsync is generally the best option for incremental backup, you can also just use NFS or SMB (Windows) backup jobs.  You might lose some file dates and permissions, but the files themselves should still transfer over.

Message 16 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

That screen grab is from the ReadyNAS.  It's the Synology side that you need to be sure has rsync enabled for the share (if Synology even requires that) and that the user you are specifying for the job has both rsync and share permissions there.  Those are discussions best discussed in a Synology forum.

You don't just send the content of a share or folder and the target kinows from the source name where to put it.  You have to specify the destination in the backup job, and that destination has to exist and have the correct properties.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements