× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 access to the share folders

mattowen
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V2 access to the share folders

RAIDar can pick up the NAS but I cannot access any of the network share.  If I reboot it I can access the file structure for a moment, but it seems to freeze and I cannot access it again.  I need to recover these files. Any recommendations? 

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is the NAS running?

Message 2 of 4
mattowen
Aspirant

Sorry for the late response.  It is running 4.1.14 for firmware.  I validated this with RAIDer 6.3

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

It is running 4.1.14 for firmware. 

This means it is actually a v1 Duo (sparc-based).  The labeling on the back is confusing - a v2 NAS (which is arm-based) would say "v2" on the front panel of the NAS, and runs 5.3.x firmware.

The safest thing to do next is to extract the files from the NAS.  You can do this by powering down the NAS, and connecting disk 1 to a Windows PC (using either sata or a USB adapter/dock).  The PC won't recognize the format, but if you install R-linux for Windows ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/  ). that software should see the files.  You can then copy them (for example to a USB drive).

After that, I suggest testing both disks in a windows PC using the vendor diagnostics (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital). 

If you see a bad disk, then  try booting the NAS with the good disk (in it's original slot), and then hot-insert a replacement disk (with the NAS running).

If both disks pass the diagnostic, then do a factory reset of the NAS with both disks in place.  This will destroy all your data.  So after the reset, you'll need to configure the NAS again (doing the normal setup, and recreating your shares).  Then restore the data from the backup you did earlier.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements