× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo connection failed on new iMac

Carrie142
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo connection failed on new iMac

My old iMac died and I got a new one and transferred everything using a Thunderbolt cable. I can see the ReadyNAS drives, but when I click on them, it says "Connection Failed." I installed RAIDar_Mac_4_3_8.dmg on the new computer in case that was the problem, but it still isn't connecting.

I have a client that needs something urgently and I can't access my files!

RND2000-100NAS

RAIDar_Mac_4_3_8.dmg

iMac OS X El Capitan

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo connection failed on new iMac

@Carrie142 wrote:

It says NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 on the bottom.  

Read the link I posted.

@Carrie142 wrote:

There is an ethernet cable running from the drive to my computer.  So it isn't physically connected to my router.  I'm not sure if it connects to it over wifi?

Normally the NAS is connected to your router.  You should then be able to access it over WiFi connections.  NAS-> "Network Attached Storage".

How did you access the NAS before you upgraded the MAC?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
Carrie142
Aspirant

I just installed RAIDar_6.0 and that didn't help.

Message 2 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you recall which firmware is on the NAS (or can you see it in RAIDar)?

Message 3 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I'm not sure what firmware is and I RAIDar doesn't detect anything connected to my computer.

Message 4 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I have the cd it came with.  Would that help?

Message 5 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I found this http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21029 and wondered if locally updating the firmware on the ReadyNAS might be the solution. I put RAIDiator-arm-5.3.11 (is that the correct file?) on a flash drive and plugged it into the ReadyNAS. But I don't know how to get to that screen where it says to "Select Configure > System > Settings, and click Update."

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The part number in the post says you have a duo v1 (which runs 4.1.x firmware).  the current production version is 4.1.14, though 4.1.15-T3 "beta" is better - it isn't really a beta, rather it has a few important security updates that are missing in 4.1.14.

There is more info on v1/v2 model identification here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

The screen in your link is for the v2, and you have a v1.  Normally the NAS is updated from the web ui - of course that isn't possible if the NAS network connection isn't working.

Is the NAS connected to your router?

Message 7 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

It says NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 on the bottom.  There is an ethernet cable running from the drive to my computer.  So it isn't physically connected to my router.  I'm not sure if it connects to it over wifi?

Message 8 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I just read the article you posted and it said to ignore the sticker on it that says it's a v2.  Oooookay.  I have a v1

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Carrie142 wrote:

It says NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 on the bottom.  

Read the link I posted.

@Carrie142 wrote:

There is an ethernet cable running from the drive to my computer.  So it isn't physically connected to my router.  I'm not sure if it connects to it over wifi?

Normally the NAS is connected to your router.  You should then be able to access it over WiFi connections.  NAS-> "Network Attached Storage".

How did you access the NAS before you upgraded the MAC?

Message 10 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

It was hooked up the same way on my old iMac. Ethernet plugged into the computer. I would go to the Finder window and click on the drive to access the contents. The drives show in the Finder on the new iMac, but it won't connect.  I'm getting the impression the old drive isn't compatible with the El Capitan OS.

And I did read your link. I answered before I read it so you would know why I thought it was v2.  Just trying to give you quick responses.

Message 11 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I tried to install 4.1.15-T3 but it said, "There is no application set to open the document “RAIDiator-4.1.15-T3”. Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer."

Message 12 of 14
Carrie142
Aspirant

I re-read everything you said and tried plugging the ReadyNAS into the router (out in the living room by our tv) and it worked!!!!  I'm not sure why it didn't work the way I had it set up with my old computer, but I'm so glad it's working now!  Thank you!

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Carrie142 wrote:

I re-read everything you said and tried plugging the ReadyNAS into the router (out in the living room by our tv) and it worked!!!!  

Great!

@Carrie142 wrote:

...And I did read your link. I answered before I read it so you would know why I thought it was v2. Just trying to give you quick responses.

Got it.  The labels are confusing.  Netgear made a poor branding decision when they launched the v2 platforms, and both the forum and Netgear support are still paying for it.

@Carrie142 wrote:

I tried to install 4.1.15-T3 but it said, "There is no application set to open the document “RAIDiator-4.1.15-T3”. Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer."

It sounds like you were trying to install it on the mac.  Now that you can reach the NAS web interface, you can try installing it from system->update if you wish.  Click on the "local" tab, then "choose file".  Select 4.1.15-T3 at that point, and then "upload and verify".  After that you can install it.

T3 isn't really a beta, it has some security updates that 4.1.14 doesn't have.  Netgear released it as "beta" to make it available sooner. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements