× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo - new install, yellow volume light?

jetydosa
Follower

ReadyNAS Duo - new install, yellow volume light?

Hello all, I just recently bought a ReadyNASDuo (diskless). I put in two WD 500gb drives that were formerly used in a PC. I am fine with losing the data on the drives of course.

Ive done the setup and gone all the way through the wizard but cant seem to write to the drives? Ive even done a factory reset and it seems to go through everything ok, but ends up with the same result?

Many thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
CooterBrown
Aspirant

I have a similar problem -- just got my ReadyNaS NV+, and put in two 1TB drives today. I don't have any disk activity any more -- so I am presuming that the X-RAID configuration has been complete.

The "Vol Disk" LED is yellow, as is the "overall" LED at the beginning of the status line. It also says that the Volume C is offine and that 0% of 0MB is in use.

TIA!
Message 2 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

Have you tried a factory default?

Factory Default
To perform an OS Re-install or Factory Default, this is managed via the Reset button on the back of the chassis.

Locate the reset pinhole.
ReadyNAS Duo/NV/NV+: the pinhole is next to the USB port in the back.
Get a straightened paper clip and depress the hidden switch in the pinhole while the power is off, and then power on the ReadyNAS.
After 5 seconds you will get the first flash of the LED's for the OS Re-install
At 30 seconds you will get the second flash of the LED's for the Factory Default.

If not, you should do that.
Message 3 of 8
CooterBrown
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Have not tried the reset yet, but I would like to doublecheck if that is really necessary this is a new installation. I have nothing other than put the two drives in, started the NAS and installed the RAIDar app, and proceeded through the config wizard. I got as far as Create Shares -- which failed.

I am not seeing how I could have screwed up that badly using the wizard.. 🙂

thanks!
Message 4 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

Were they brand new drives?

A new install with new drives would not normally need a factory default. But, that being said, a factory default will cure most ills. With no data at risk it is an easy step, just taking a bit more time.
Message 5 of 8
CooterBrown
Aspirant

No, they weren't brand new drives. I pulled them out of my existing desktop andpopped them into the NAS. I will try the factory reset to see if that will also resets the drives.

thanks
Message 6 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

It will wipe everything on the drives. That is why the option is generally not wise for someone who has data on the drives and no backup.
Message 7 of 8
CooterBrown
Aspirant

Thank you - that did the trick. I was operating under the assumption that the RAIDar software would have wiped out all the information on the drives automatically/ Lesson learned...

Wish the application would have let me choose to reinitialize the drives on demand... although the factory reset accomplished the same thing.

thanks once again!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements