× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo suddenly unable to connect via SMB

krankdroid
Tutor

ReadyNAS Duo suddenly unable to connect via SMB

everything was working really well. So well that i wanted to add a second disk before i filled up the first 1000 GB, since i read that in order to expand capacity and use flex raid, i had to format the entire disk.

so i backed up, inserted pin and did a factory reset and used the 10 minute time slot to choose the flex raid setup. everything formatted and installed and is working ok. sort of.

there is no access via SMB at all.. twice i have gotten as far as to see the "workgroup" folder. But i get a "invalid response" or "connection timeout" or simply no error message when trying to connect. i have tried accessing from three different XBMC versions on three different devices, and via Mizuu to test the connection without XBMC and rule out that being the problem.

And i cannot connect no matter what i try. CIFS i checked and i have tried turning it off and on a few times. the RAIDar frontview also seem to be a bit buggy all of the sudden, and today it has even frozen on me a few times. i have also tried rebooting it a few times.

the worst part is that i can almost no longer transfer files to the NAS. after 2 - 7 % it drops to zero. it just took me 14 minutes to transfer a 350 MB file and it dropped to zero 18 times and stayed there for a while, then went back up to 1 mb down to 155 kb. You get the picture. clearly something is not right.

i can find the ReadyNAS Duo just fine through UPNP, and it seemed to work when i added it as a network location as SMB. But in the end it did not work out..

Does anyone here have any good ideas of what i can try next?
Message 1 of 6
kcgr1
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with SMB. Everything was working fine for about 2 years until a few days back. Both of my neotv550 unit suddenly stopped being able to see my media share. I am stumped. I have an NV+ v1. I can see them via NFS only after trying to browse the folders twice. The first time, after 20 sec it will say no media found. The second time, after about 20 sec, it decides the media is found and it operates fine after that (actually faster access). I like the NFS speed, but why did SMB die and why does it take two attempts to access the NFS share? I tried a rename and un-rename of the media share to no avail. I've toggled the services, reset the Neotvs, etc. Any other ideas?
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Is the ReadyNAS set to spin down the disks? That might explain the timeout on the first access.

Does SMB work with your PC? Did you try reconfiguring the NTV to use the IP address of the NAS instead of the name?
Message 3 of 6
kcgr1
Aspirant

it is set to spindown, but even once I have accessed the drives and they are spun up and passed data, if I do a power cycle of the neo then the share access reverts to the behavior I noted above. It fails the first time and then works the second time (usually).

The IP address is used for NFS and the name is used for smb.

What I cannot determine is what changed? This worked for years, then it decided not to work. I thought it was the neo, but I have 2 of them and they are both doing the same thing. The common element is the NV+.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The router is also common. Is there any other equipment on the path from the NAS to the two NTV that is common?

I am wondering if the problem is related to name resolution, and not the protocol itself. Can you try configuring an SMB share by IP address on one the NTVs? BTW, did you know you can do that using the NTV web page? Much easier than doing it with the remote.

Also, what NAS model do you have, and what firmware are you using.
Message 5 of 6
kcgr1
Aspirant

I tried the easiest thing first..... I manually input the smb share with the IP address. I did that for the NFS share, but I didn't think to try it for smb. Thanks for the idea, as it worked. The NFS is still consistently faster judging by the network test, but I'd rather have reliable access than the speed. I rarely have had blu-ray stutters. If they do come up I can jump over to the NFS version of the share. I'm still curious as to why my previous setup stopped working, but I'm happy now that the wife is happy.

nv+ 4.1.10
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements