× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo suddenly very slow to copy

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your usage on the OS partition is still larger than I think is normal. Do you have any large log files?

After you have made an up to date backup could you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my signature)?
Message 26 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

When I followed the procedure in the link, I got this error:

Safari can’t open the page “https://192.168.0.2/get_handler?PAGE=Status&command=GetZippedLogs&OPERATION=set” because Safari can’t connect to the server “192.168.0.2

Unfortunately, I can no longer connect to Frontview.
Message 27 of 40
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you check for large log files first?
Message 28 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

No, I understood the procedure to download the logs was the means to determine if the log files were large.
Message 29 of 40
StephenB
Guru

flamesong wrote:
No, I understood the procedure to download the logs was the means to determine if the log files were large.
Regrettably it was exactly the wrong thing to do.

When you download the logs, the NAS zips them into a file on the OS partition. If the OS partition is nearly full to start with, that can take it over the edge.
Message 30 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

But my ReadyNAS was not even half full.
Message 31 of 40
StephenB
Guru

StephenB wrote:
Though earlier in the thread you did have ssh access, and the OS partition looked ok.
Just to clarify - "ok" meant not dangerously full, but using more space that typical. That was why mdgm asked about the log sizes.

He was expecting you to check with ssh.
Message 32 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

No, access denied.

I just got an e-mail which says:

RAID sync started on volume C.

[Thu Dec 4 01:36:47 WET 2014]
Message 33 of 40
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you download the logs it has to copy some log files and zip it. The OS partition doesn't have to be full for this to cause a problem. Clearly at least one of your logs is way too large. I suspect this might be related to your NAS's sudden poor performance.
Message 34 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

It seems there is nothing I can do until the RAID sync finishes.

It's 2.00am here and I've been awake for 22 hours so I think I'll leave it for the night.

Thanks.
Message 35 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

I'm not really sure what is going on but the power light is pulsing, the light below it is flashing and the two drive lights are green.

RAIDar looks like this:

It says my UPS is on 0% power which is odd because it cut in when the power went off for a few seconds recently.
Message 36 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

I don't suppose anybody can give me a hint of what is going on and how long it might take.

When I tried to access Frontview, I was getting the null screen until a couple of hours ago and now I am getting nothing but a Safari cannot connect to server error.

ReadyNAS Duo power light is pulsing, activity light is off, Disk lights are green. RAIDar is exactly the same as above.

Light on UPS is green, incidentally.
Message 37 of 40
vandermerwe
Master

Well the reason you can't access Frontview now is probably that the OS has filled up when you downloaded the logs.
As for the resync, how long has it been going now?
You have a backup now I presume?

You could perhaps wait 48 hours, if there is no improvement I think there are 2 options, one is to do a factory default and restore data from a backup. The other is for someone to remotely try to fix this. I think you may be able to pay Netgear to do this, but the cost would likely be prohibitive if you have a backup.
Message 38 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

OK, so after about 36 hours, there was no change, so I tried to re-install the OS from flash.

After that, I got all green lights from RAIDar and I can connect to all my shares via the finder but the RAIDiator screen is just the blank template page with ReadyNAS null.

I have rebooted the ReadyNAS Duo a number of times and tried to re-install the OS as per instructions here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24874
Message 39 of 40
flamesong1
Aspirant

Dead.

Thanks for asking.
Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos