× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 UPS USB

orlik09
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 UPS USB

Good afternoon. I read on the forums that Synology works with the IPPON basic 650 UPS over a usb cable. Turns off when the battery is low and even turns on after power is applied. I bought one for ReadyNAS Duo v1. The device does not turn off when the battery is low, but when the usb is turned off from the power supply, the notification "UPS has been disconnected" is received. Can I configure my NAS to work with UPS over USB?

Model: RND2000v1 (ReadyNAS Duo v1)|READYNAS DUO v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 UPS USB

@orlik09 wrote:

Can I configure my NAS to work with UPS over USB?

There's no easy way to manually configure the UPS behavior.  The Duo is very old (went out of production in 2011, and the last software update was 2017).  Likely there was a change to the network ups tools (NUTS) software that addressed the interoperability problem, but the NAS never got it.

Are you running the final firmware (4.1.16)?

Message 2 of 5
orlik09
Aspirant

Yes, RAIDiator 4.1.16.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The NUTS website lists the IPPON  USB interface as "experimental", and suggests that tinkering some of the settings in ups.conf. That would require using ssh, and even if you try that you might run into issues with the NAS rewriting the ups.conf file.  

One thing you might try is running the Duo off the main power, but keeping it connected to the UPS over USB.  Then put a load on the UPS power (maybe a fan, or something that uses a comparable amount of power to the Duo), and disconnect the UPS from the main power.

Then see if the NAS ever receives a shutdown message.  The idea here is that the shutdown message from the UPS might be coming too late (that the NAS has already shut down).

Message 4 of 5
orlik09
Aspirant

Of course I tried this, the first time I connected only USB, and the NAS was connected to an existing power supply. I loaded Ippon with the computer and waited for it to be completely turned off. The NAS did not respond. Too bad the chain didn't work. We'll have to look for APC.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements