× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1. & PC-BSD - will they talk to each other?

handy1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1. & PC-BSD - will they talk to each other?

I'm thinking of moving from Linux to PC-BSD, so I need to know whether the two systems are compatible? I have an OS/X machine that runs Radiator so I only need network support (via NFS I guess).

Has anyone worked with these two systems PC-BSD (which is basically FreeBSD) & the ReadyNAS Duo v1. ?

It looks like Ext3 can be read/write if journalling is turned off (the Duo v1. uses Ext3 doesn't it?). Is that the only problem?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Message 1 of 3
handy1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1. & PC-BSD - will they talk to each other

What I had read about accessing Ext3 journalled & particularly the Ext4 filesystems had me somewhat concerned (ignorance!). I have set up a machine running PC-BSD (FreeBSD) & getting access to the Duo v1. was as simple as adding much the same lines I used in my Linux /etc/fstab to the PC-BSD /etc/fstab like so:

10.10.0.1:/media	/mnt/NAS-media   nfs  rw,noatime  0  0
10.10.0.1:/media-2 /mnt/NAS-media-2 nfs rw,noatime 0 0
10.10.0.1:/backup /mnt/NAS-backup nfs rw,noatime 0 0

[edit:] The above /mnt/NAS-media & such directories had to be created also. /edit

The other thing was to add a line into the /etc/rc.conf like so:

# Enable NFS Client
nfs_client_enable="YES"

That was it! Now they talk sweetly to each other.

Hopefully this little thread will help ease someone else's concerns about whether changing to the BSD operating system will be a deal breaker. Its NOT. 😄
Message 2 of 3
handy1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1. & PC-BSD - will they talk to each other

I'm currently in the process of copying ~300GB from the Duo to an external USB 3.0 drive plugged into the PC-BSD box, & it is moving along very nicely. 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements