× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 boots with disk 1 or 2 alone, but not with both.

MForster
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 boots with disk 1 or 2 alone, but not with both.

Hi everybody,

I have a device that has been working in it's current setup for years. Now, suddenly it doesn't come up any more with two disks:

• When I insert only disk 1: device boots and serves as normal
  • When I insert only disk 2: device boots and serves as normal
  • When I insert both disks: device does not boot, fan makes a lot of noise, can't ping device, no interesting log entries. 

My Setup:

• ReadyNAS Duo v1
  • RAIDiator 4.1.14
  • 2 identical drives: Seagate ST31000524AS 931 GB

Any idea what the issue could be and how I should fix it? I'm happy to retrieve more debug information per SSH, if it helps. I suspect a hardware problem, though.

Thanks,
Mike

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 boots with disk 1 or 2 alone, but not with both.

This sounds to me like a hardware issue. It could be the power brick, or possibly something on the system board related to the SATA interface.

If you want to try a software-only change, then I suggest pulling off all your data, and then doing a factory reset.  You'll need to rebuild the NAS from scratch (reconfiguring, reinstalling add-ons, restoring data).  If it fails, then it's probably time for a new NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

This sounds to me like a hardware issue. It could be the power brick, or possibly something on the system board related to the SATA interface.

If you want to try a software-only change, then I suggest pulling off all your data, and then doing a factory reset.  You'll need to rebuild the NAS from scratch (reconfiguring, reinstalling add-ons, restoring data).  If it fails, then it's probably time for a new NAS.

Message 2 of 5
MForster
Aspirant

That's what I feared.

Do you think that replacing the power supply does actually have a non-zero chance of fixing this? That would be the lowest-effort repair that I could try out before reinstalling.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@MForster wrote:

Do you think that replacing the power supply does actually have a non-zero chance of fixing this? That would be the lowest-effort repair that I could try out before reinstalling.

I think is a chance, but really can't give you odds.

The disks do require more power during boot/spinup than any other time.

Message 4 of 5
MForster
Aspirant

Hah, awesome. It was indeed the power supply.

I found another one that had the same spec, and the device now comes up with both drives.

Thanks a lot!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements