× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 not completely booting up after replacing failed disk

bryn_hird
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 not completely booting up after replacing failed disk

Background

I have a ReadyNAS Duo V1 with a failing disk. System emails indicated :

Disk 2 did not pass SMART self-assessment test.  Please replace this disk as soon as possible.

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon.  If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Since I was using close to 1TB of the available raid storage I decided to upgrade both disks to 2TB.

Issue

I replaced each disk in turn, and they worked through to completion. At the end of the process half of the 2TB was available as RAID. Subsequently the system independantly kicked off  a sync process. This began on 2nd August at approximately 2100. It is now 11th August at approximately 1230 and the sync does not appear to be complete. The Disk 1 light is flashing intermittently (roughly 3 flashes a second) which suggests the sync is ongoing, but it seems to be taking a very long time in comparison to what is suggested by available online literature.

Additional Supporting Information

The disk contains predominantly audio files - my iTunes music collection is held on it. I consume between 700-800M of disk space.

I cannot access the device through RAIDar, the last interaction indicated "Volume C is syncing".

Firmware is 4.1.14-T3.

If I scan the network the device name is resolved and the following services are available: http, sunrpc, netbios-ssn, https, microsoft-ds, afpovertcp, ipp, daap.

I am unable to get a response when attempting to log onto the device from a browser.

I have seen a separate message related to resolving a similar issue (in that instance the individual waited 2 days) by removing the syncing disk, backing up and doing a factory reset, but that sounds like a work around and potentially not resolving future issues. I know have that option (I've tested it) and I still have the good 1TB disk from the original set up as a second option, but would prefer to resolve this properly.

Request

Has anyone been through this before and (optimistically) is it simply a matter of patience?

Does anyone have advice on getting access to the logs to see what is happening without interupting the sync? For example I prefer to not remove the syncing disk.

Model: RND2175v1|READYNAS DUO v1
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 not completely booting up after replacing failed disk

Finally done more detailed tests on the second disk I acquired and find faults. The cause seems to be a faulty disk. I have done a factory reset with the first 2TB disk I purchased and it's working fine, and faster than before, but obviously not in a RAID configuration.

Clearly I was too patien. My investment in testing tools will be put to good use whenever I buy new hard drives.

Many thanks to all contributors.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 28

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Why are you still running a beta firmware release?

RAIDiator 4.1.14 was released back in October 2014 which is getting close to two years ago now. RAIDiator 4.1.15 was just released recently.

Is your data backed up?

If you can login to https://ip.address.of.nas/admin you should be able to see the state of the sync and download the logs.

Message 2 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response.

No reason for using beta, I thought I was on latest when I kicked this process off, but clearly not. Unless this situation does not resolve itself I shall wait until the sync completes before updating. If you have knowledge there was a related bug in the beta release, corrected for the final release, I shall reconsider.

I do not have a backup. I accept it is a terrible lapse and I am in the process of correcting (such as acquiring a back up device) but since I know I can access my data if this fails, I consider the risk of data loss low.

I am unable to log onto the admin account using https://ip.address.of.nas/admin. I've used several devices to attempt to log in. The device has not been moved nor the network reconfigured since I was last able to log on.

Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

4.1.15 is no longer beta, it was recently released as production.

Message 4 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I assumed from mdgm's post that was the case.

In the context of not wanting to interrupt the current sync process, because it's been going since 2nd August and I am relying on patience to resolve it, I would prefer to do the latest firmware upgrade after the sync completes.

However, if someone has information that either 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 production release specifically addressed long sync times, I shall reconsider the timing of the upgrade.

Message 5 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The reason I mentioned it is that betas are betas. They may inherently possibly have issues that one wouldn't see in a production release as betas haven't gone through the complete QA process. I was speaking generally rather than referring to an issue with the beta build you are running.

We don't recommend sticking on beta firmware after betas are over.

Message 6 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@bryn_hird wrote:

...if someone has information that either 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 production release specifically addressed long sync times...

I don't think so (and I'm thinking that is quite unlikely given the v1 already is using hardware acceleration).

Certainly the release notes don't mention it:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25786/~/raidiator-version-4.1.14-(sparc)

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30914/~/raidiator-version-4.1.15-(sparc)

Message 7 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Fully agree, I would not normally stay on a beta and truly thought I was on the latest version.

Is there any record of sync taking an inordinate amount of time, regardless of the firmware release? I found one post on the subject, any knowledge you have access to that I do not?

I may give it a few more days and then interrupt. I will then backup, upgrade firmware, try again and if no success, factory reset.

Message 8 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS duo v1ReadyNAS Duo v1 not completely booting up after replacing failed disk

One reason could be that one of the disks is still failing.  That would create a lot of sector reallocations during the resync, and would really slow things down.

Hopefully that's not happening.  Can you see any status with RAIDar?

Message 9 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Many thanks for providing those links.

Message 10 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

The disk failing scenario did occur to me. I only have sync activity on one disk, so I wondered indeed whether the disk was at fault. If I remove, what would be an independant (from the NAS) approach to test the disk for failure?

Message 11 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

...and I cannot see status in RAIDar. Rescan does not show the NAS.

Message 12 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@bryn_hird wrote:

what would be an independant (from the NAS) approach to test the disk for failure?

Vendor tools in a PC.  Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for seagate.

Message 13 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS duo v1ReadyNAS Duo v1 not completely booting up after replacing failed disk

So, another 2 weeks on (I know, I'm patient) and I decided to intervene and stop things.

(Note I use a iMac with OS X El Capitan V10.11.6.)

I went back to ground zero.

1. Original 1TB Drive Config
    1. Installed the 1TB original drive on it's own (the second was showing possible errors) and upgraded firmware to latest version. All good and drive accessible.
    2. Examined the log file for obvious issues and found nothing to raise concerns.
  2. 1TB and 2TB disk configuration (Dodgy Disk)
    1. Installed 2TB drive (DodgyDrive) that I thought might be the issue and it synced up and started XRAID. I added some data to the drive and all was working fine. Until this monring and I find the NAS busy and unobtainable via RAIDar or through admin logon.
  3. 1TB and 2TB disk configuration (OKDrive)
    1. Not wanting to wait another 4 weeks for another experiment I decide to bring matters to a halt and swap the 2TB drive for the one I think works fine (OKDrive). At least it did last time.
    2. Green light is flashing but I cannot access with RAIDar yet, but still, might be syncing. On past performance another 8 hours and I'll know if things are all good.
    3. Linked up DodgyDrive as an external drive through the USB and examined with Disk Utility. Used "First Aid" and disk seems OK but some odd numbers, especially as the drive is empty. Any thoughts folks? Any suggestions on how to dive into more disk details (on the Mac)?
    4. Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 20.23.11.png

Appreciate all the help thus far. Any more details needed let me know.

Message 14 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Disk is Hitachi.

Message 15 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Can you find a way to grab the SMART stats for the disk (reallocated sectors, pending sectors, etc)?

The info in the screen shot isn't useful for telling if the disk is ok or not.

Message 16 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Many thanks to everyone that has tried to help. I thought I'd round up this posting with the outcome, which has not been ideal, but at least gets me back and working.

In short sequence of events over the past weeks have been :

• Messages from the NAS indicated a failing disk.
  • I purchased a replacement disk, twice the capacity as I was approaching the limit of 1TB
  • Disk was hot swapped with the bad 1TB disk, the disks synced and worked fine.
  • I purchased a 2nd 2TB disk and inserted, replacing the good 1TB disk to get full access to the 2TB.
  • The disks resynced and then, I can only assume, began to expand to 2TB. At this point I lost connectivity with the NAS, and days later and after no progress was observed in accessibility I halted it.
  • I began again, using the good 1TB disks, inserting a 2TB disk and then swapping the 1TB with the other 2TB disk. This time I waited weeks with the same outcome.
  • I tried once more but this time ensuring I was at the latest release level of firmware etc, but seemed to lose all access to the NAS, even when using the 1TB good disk on it's own. At this point I begand to panic. Learning folks...make a backup before screwing around.
  • I pulled out my trusty Windows machine, used R-Linux to recover all my data from the good 1TB disk onto an external 2TB USB disk.
  • Installed the 2TB disks into the NAS and kicked off a factory reset. I am hopeful this all turns out well. You may see one last post from me indicating either
    • I'm up and running with a 2TB RAID NAS.
    • I'm not up and running and with the cause insofar as I can determine (most likely culprit being a dodgy 2TB disk in my opinion).

Learning:

Most useful procedure - a backup.

Most useful tool - R-Linux.

Most useful beaviour - patience.

Again, many thanks for your help / contributions.

Message 17 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Anyone an idea of how long a factory reset takes?

I'm 4 hours in, have chosen setup and done the necessary, now I have continuous blue light, no green lights, no access from RAIDar. I can see it is visible on the network (but not through any access to the NAS, I've tried <ipaddress>/admin). Is this normal?

I'll be patient of course, but some idea of what I can expect would be helpful. I am using 2 x 2TB disks, X-RAID.

Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@bryn_hird wrote:

no access from RAIDar.

RAIDar doesn't find it?  Or just won't let you manage it?

4 hours without access seems a bit long.

Message 19 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

RAIDar does not find it despite repeated clicks of the Rescan button
Message 20 of 28
StephenB
Guru

That isn't normal.  Are you using clean disks?

Message 21 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Yes
Message 22 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

Let me qualify. What do you mean by clean?
Message 23 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@bryn_hird wrote:
Let me qualify. What do you mean by clean?

Disks with no SMART errors and which pass the vendor diagnostics.  Not disks you described as "dodgy" earlier in the thread.

You could try another reset, perhaps with only one disk in place.  Then you could hot-insert the second after the NAS was set up.

Message 24 of 28
bryn_hird
Aspirant

The disks passed the vendor (Hitachi) diagnostic tests. No obvious cause for concern
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements