× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 not responsive - stuck on RAID resync?

hungoverdrawn
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 not responsive - stuck on RAID resync?

A while ago I got an email from my seven year-old ReadyNAS which has 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive (WD20EARS):

"Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors.  Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon."

I plugged an external USB HDD into it and set a backup job, but the job failed part of the way through so the backup is incomplete.

Eventually the ReadyNAS stopped responding (couldn't connect via Finder or access Frontview). I unplugged it and powered it back up. For a while it's responsive and I can access Frontview and see that it is doing a RAID resync (I get an email saying "A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity.").

However although it seems to be powered up (LEDs, fans, seen by my router and RAIDar) it is again unresponsive and the backup job does not run. RAIDar reports that it is resyncing, but it is stuck at 0.0% (Frontview showed something different before it stopped responding but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I know this model is EOL and long out of warranty. I just want to be able to get my data off it. Can anyone help? If the attempted RAID resync is the issue, should I power it down, pull one of the drives and power it back up? And given that one of the drives is maybe failing, is there any way of knowing which drive I should pull?

Grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Robert

Model: RND2000v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 not responsive - stuck on RAID resync?

It's a little tricky if it's in the middle of a resync.

You can try powering down the NAS, and connecting disk 1 to a windows PC (either SATA or via USB).  R-linux for Windows can be used to access the data volume.  http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/

Message 2 of 4
hungoverdrawn
Aspirant

According to RAIDar the resync is stuck on 0.0% (see attached), though as I say before it became unresponsive it was showing as in progress in Frontview.

As it's unresponsive and I can't currently access my data, I guess there's nothing to be lost by powering it down and pulling a drive. Will it come up with only one drive in the enclosure, and does it need to be in slot 1?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@hungoverdrawn wrote:

Will it come up with only one drive in the enclosure, and does it need to be in slot 1?

It should come up with only one drive, in either slot. I'd pull disk 1 after you power it down, as that would let you extract the data if needed (as I described above).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements