× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - Failed Drive Migration

NG18
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - Failed Drive Migration

Yesterday my ReadyNAS Duo (RND2000-200) failed. Looks like a blown power supply or motherboard. There are two drives in RAID1 mode (mirroed). I bought a RN21200. I have read the following articles (29957, 29875).

I have followed all steps in artcile 29957. I want to make sure that If I boot RN21200 with the with the old drives my data would not be damaged. Second has anybody done this successfully. Third any additional words of advise?

Thanks in Advance for your input.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - Failed Drive Migration

@NG18 wrote:

Yesterday my ReadyNAS Duo (RND2000-200) failed. Looks like a blown power supply or motherboard. There are two drives in RAID1 mode (mirroed). I bought a RN21200. I have read the following articles (29957, 29875).

I have followed all steps in artcile 29957.

The relevant KB article is https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Note that this migration requires support assistance, as noted in the kb article

To make the data accessible, some assistance from NETGEAR Support is required. ... It is important you do not attempt an OS reinstall or Factory reset as this will lead to data loss.

Message 2 of 6
NG18
Aspirant

What is it that support does that I can't do? It seems to me Netgear wants my money. $200 fir initial diagnosis & ($180 per hour rounded up)!

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NG18 wrote:

$200 fir initial diagnosis & ($180 per hour rounded up)!

That is only for cases when data recovery is needed, not for the more usual case where they are just making the old volume accessible.

I don't know what steps they actually doing, though my guess is that they are manually assembling the raid array, mounting the file system read-only, and then starting samba to make the files accessible.

Message 4 of 6
NG18
Aspirant

They would not help me unless I paid the $200 diagnostic fee & pay $180 per hour to fix.

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well an alternative would be to just restore your data from backup.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements