× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v2 cannot scroll boot menu

hpstaber
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 cannot scroll boot menu

Hello community

I am writing from a VAIO-SX14 laptop unter Win10 Pro x64.

I have been operating a RaedyNAS Duo v2 Model RND2000-200EUS with 2 2TB HDD successfully since 2013.

2 weeks ago I "lost" access to the NAS both in Linux and in Windows computers and could not see it with RAIDar_6.5.0 either.

Reading and following the advice in the FAQ I managed to reinstall the OS through the boot process of the ReadyNAS. This brought back the visibility of the NAS and I could backup the daty to an external USB-HDD. However the file transfer was very sloooow. On top I was not able to play the audio files from the NAS through my network player any more.

I decided to do a reboot to factory defaults and thus reformat the HDD. However I could no longer browse the boot menu of the ReadyNAS - that is to say:

- powering on brings me to the state with all lights on just fine

- pressing backup to scroll to a state with just the power button and the Disk 1 LED light on imediately switches off ALL lights except the power button

- gracefull power off will not work any more (pressing the ower button twice) - I have to pull the power cord.

Continuing to read the FAQ's and manuals I decided to pull the 2 HDD and format them to FAT32. Remounting them did not trigger the autoformat process and did not change anything. I pulled the HDD again and recreated an unformatted partition on each of the HDD. The disks are both working and detected fine in my partition software.

Putting them back into the ReadyNAS still does not trigger any autosetup procedure. Trying to go to "factory defaults" through the boot menu ends as posted above:

- powering on brings me to the state with all lights on just fine

- pressing backup to scroll to a state with just the power button and the Disk 1 LED light on imediately switches off ALL lights except the power button

- gracefull power off will not work any more (pressing the ower button twice) - I have to pull the power cord

- the setup process through readycloud.netgear.com does not see the ReadyNAS and RAIDar_6.5.0 will not detect it either.

... and now I am stuck and kindly ask for your help or advice.

Best regards

HP Staber

Salzburg

Model: RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
hpstaber
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 cannot scroll boot menu

I will eventually go for a new NAS unit. For the time being I am set with a 4TB Buffalo and I will finish saving my files from the backuo onto the Bufallo this weekend.

Thanks for listening and helping out.

Regards

HP Staber

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about this in the RreadyNAS forums instead of the cable modem forums.

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try removing both disks and power up the Duo v2.  Then see if RAIDar can find the NAS on the network, and confirm that it reports a "no disks" status. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

While the disks are removed, try testing them with vendor tools in a Windows PC (Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate).  If they pass, remove all the partitions, insert them into the NAS and power up.   Normal behavior is for the NAS to do a factory install when it detectes blank disks.

One good way to remove the partitions is to use the "write zeros" test that is in both Seatools and Lifeguard.  Writing zeros will sometimes uncover disk problems that the non-destructive tests miss.

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The first step in sequencing through the boot options is all LEDs off.  Are you continuing on and not getting past that point?

Message 4 of 10
hpstaber
Aspirant

I am continuing and not getting past the state with all lights off.

I will retry this weekend when I am back from a business trip and confirm.

Regards

HP Staber

Message 5 of 10
hpstaber
Aspirant

I confirm that continuing to press Backup will not get me past the all-lights-off stage.

Looks very much like a hardware failure.

HP Staber

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hpstaber wrote:

Looks very much like a hardware failure.

Yes.  Unfortunately it's not repairable.  About the only thing you could try is a risk-buy of a new power adapter - which I think would be a long shot.

Message 7 of 10
hpstaber
Aspirant

I will eventually go for a new NAS unit. For the time being I am set with a 4TB Buffalo and I will finish saving my files from the backuo onto the Bufallo this weekend.

Thanks for listening and helping out.

Regards

HP Staber

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Just to be sure I have this right:  After boot to the meun, all LEDs are lit.  First press of Backup button, all go out.  Then, nothing when hitting the button again.

If this is correct, I'm not sure how this can be a hardware issue.  If it never went to all LEDs out, I'd say it was and that the backup button was broken.  But since it senses the button once, that's not it.  The backup menu is controlled by the firmware, and I believe also by the info in the BIOS that identifies the NAS model.  So, this sounds like corrupted internal flash memory to me, though I suppose it could be corrupted because it's bad.  A USB recovery could be the fix, but I can't seem to find the procedure for doing so on a Duo V2.  Netgear can fix the ID info, but you have to be able to get to support mode first, so catch 22. 

See here for an identical problem fixed by USB recovery.  Note, however that the link to the USB recovery provided there is broken.

Here is an ancient post about Duo V2 boot recovery.  I have no idea if it still works.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Not sure if the USB recovery will work, but it is worth a try.

Maybe @Retired_Member will chime in (as he helped in the previous case).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements