× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 flashing power light over 12 hours

helloimkev
Initiate

ReadyNAS Duo v2 flashing power light over 12 hours

Hi,

Little background - laptop died a year or so ago, I've not installed any of the ReadyNAS software to new computer, just been logging in via connected network devices to upload / download files.

So last night:

• Transferring using Finder on Mac OS 10.14 - I get an unknown error; I assumed I'd run out of space.
  • Installed RAIDAR on new computer and tried to access admin to have full access; apparently forgot my admin username / password.
  • Located reset button (attempting to boot OS reinstall), gave it a quick poke to be sure it was the right one, then tried to power down; my ReadyNAS doesn't like to just switch off so tried holding the power button, then stumbled upon the preferred shut down (hit power twice).
  • Since then I've had 12 hours of flashing power LED, drive activity, disk 1 & 2 LED's are solid, pressing / holding the power button doesn't change this.

I'm loathe to just turn it off in case I've started something which may damage the drives. Does anybody have experience of similar? If I do just power it off, am I safe to access the boot menu via the reset button when powering it back up?

Alternatively - if I were to remove one of the drives now so I can be reassured that I do have the data, will that cause any harm?

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Try running RAIDar again, and see what status it tells you.  Please let us know what firmware is running on the NAS, and how large the disks are.

@helloimkev wrote:

I'm loathe to just turn it off in case I've started something which may damage the drives. Does anybody have experience of similar? If I do just power it off, am I safe to access the boot menu via the reset button when powering it back up?

Alternatively - if I were to remove one of the drives now so I can be reassured that I do have the data, will that cause any harm?

Unfortunately your data is at risk. Removing one of the drives now won't guarantee that the data is still there, since the system has been churning for over 12 hours.

If RAIDar doesn't give you any info on what the system is doing, I'd forceably shut it down.

Message 2 of 3
helloimkev
Initiate

Thanks, I'd left RAIDAR running whilst doing this and it was indicating that it couldn't find the ReadyNAS device - which is consistent with it disappearing from the network list in Finder. The disks are 3TB, I *believe* the firmware version is 5.3.11 since that's the last email I had relating to a firmware update.

If it's still flashing when I get home tonight I'll switch it off at the mains and see what happens when booting it up again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements