× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - loses settings - Case 19030204

DavMuss
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - loses settings - Case 19030204

Unit keeps rebooting to factory defaults whenever it is restarted.
Not retaining customised settings (Host Name, Shares, Log-in, Security info etc.
Whenever it's rebooted, it keeps reverting to the initial "Set-Up" Routine (Booting, Testing, SetUp, Create Volume etc.) and all data on hard-drive is lost
Have tried two different hard-drives - still same result. Both drives are on the "approved list".
Also exchanged the RND2000, but the replacement is exactly the same! Firmware Version is 5.3.5.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - loses settings - resets to factory def

You should open a tech support case and edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in the thread) to include your case number.

Can you download the logs (System > Info > Download Logs)? If you extract the zip contents do you see any problems in diagnostics.log?

Depending on what they can determine from the logs support might need to remotely login to the unit to try and identify what the problem is.

I presume you are using disks from the HCL?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

Many thanks - have now opened a tech support case as suggested.
Have checked the Log files - no diagnostics problems listed.
Hard Drive is on the HCL list and the log files indicate that the drive has passed all tests.
Message 3 of 18
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Are you sure they did not give you the same unit back it would be highly unlikely 2 units having identical problem like that its quite an unusual problem,
where did you exchange it retailer or netgear support ?.
Message 4 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

The unit was definitely replaced by the retailer (Novatech in Portsmouth) - I have a record of both serial numbers! They had about 19 of the units in stock, so were quite happy to exchange it - maybe it's part of a "bad batch" !
I have an older RND v1 which I've been running without problems for many months, so I was rather surprised at the problems I'm having with this new one (v2)
Message 5 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I do wonder whether the disk might be locked by the NAS. If that is the case that would explain why the problem is still being faced in the new unit.

When you did a factory default did you ever select the secure erase option in RAIDar?
Message 6 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

I have just tried another factory default reset, with secure erase, but still no difference. Same result also with another hard-drive (also on the HCL list).
Wondering if it's a firmware related problem (currently using 5.3.5) - perhaps I need to "downgrade" to a previous firmware version and give that a try!
Message 7 of 18
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Are these new hard disks you are using or have they been used before in pc ?
Message 8 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

I'm only setting it up as a single-drive unit - the drive is a brand-new Seagate ST2000DL004-HD204UI (2TB) - have tried using both X-Raid2 and Flex-Raid configuration.
I did try an alternative drive - WDC20EARS-OOMVWB0 - this had previously been used in a PC, but I wiped it clean and deleted all partitions etc before trying it in the ReadyNAS.
Everything sets up fine with the NAS, it goes through the SetUp procedure, Testing, Create Volume etc., creates shares, I can change password, set fixed IP address, change host name, etc., but as soon as I reboot the unit all the customised settings are lost. I am then prompted to go through the whole installation/setup routine yet again.
Tech Support are investigating and I have just forwarded them copies of the System Log Files, so will see if they can solve this one!!
Message 9 of 18
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Good glad to here support is investigating hope they get it sussed soon, its a bit of a strange one.
Message 10 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

Hi Herbieo and mdgm,
I think the problem has now been sorted out! It seemed to be related to the hard-drive(s) I was using. Maybe they had been somehow locked by the NAS (as suggested by mdgm). I found another brand-new Samsung Drive, carried out another factory reset on the NAS, set it up with the new drive and all seems to be fine - I can now shut down and restart without losing any of my settings.
Still not sure why there were problems with the first two drives, but at least it now seems to be OK.
Many thanks for your help with this one - much appreciated.
David
Message 11 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the old hard drives were locked that would have been easy to verify via tech support mode by support (and it would be easy to unlock them) or by connecting the drives up to a PC and finding you can't use them because they're locked. The problem with those disks might be something else.
Message 12 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. It seems that the drives are locked. I have connected the drives to a PC and both are unable to be read, although they are recognized by the OS. Unable to initialize the disks etc.
I would like to re-use the drives in a PC environment (one was a brand-new Samsung/Seagate 2GB unit) - is there a tool available which would enable me to unlock the drives?
Any ideas please?
Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Are you saying that you can't delete the linux partitions from your PC?

Normally you do this via control panel\administrative tools\computer management; click on "disk management'. Then right-click on each volume on the drive and select "delete volume".
Message 14 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disks were locked. When doing a factory default with a secure erase the disks are locked then unlocked. Rarely the drives don't unlock for some reason. Now when the NAS comes to boot because the drives are locked it thinks they are blank unformatted disks, it then goes and does a factory default each boot as the drives are not unlocked. Moving the disks across to another NAS, the issue would continue because the disks would still be locked. The disks are now unlocked and should now be able to used in the NAS or in a PC.
Message 15 of 18
DavMuss
Aspirant

Many thanks for all your help, mdgm - much appreciated. The disks are indeed now unlocked and working fine (in both NAS and PC environments).
Message 16 of 18
DarkSlice
Aspirant

is there anything i need to do to unlock this HDD or is it done automatically on the newer firmware?
Message 17 of 18
RedDRagonTaff
Aspirant

I also locked my drive after interrupting the secure erase and I didn't want to wait for another Secure Erase to finish completely to fix my drive. So after browsing around the forum and refering to hdparm man page. He's how I did it:

1) Bootup into Linux distro on a PC (I used Parted Magic Bootable CD)
2) Used the Smart GUI tool to see what drives were detected. My locked drive was listed as 'Unkown' but appeared on /dev/sdb
3) Using a Terminal window typed the following commands:

hdparm --user-master user --security-unlock NETGEAR /dev/sdb
#This unlocked the drive but hasn't disabled the lock. i.e. if you power off and power on the drive it will be locked again

hdparm --user-master user --security-disable NETGEAR /dev/sdb
#This actually disables the lockand unlocks the driver permanently until it is enabled again. i.e. if you power off and power on the drive it will no longer be locked. Yipee

4) You can disconnect the drive and use the drive as normal for a PC / NAS or whatever.

Hope this helps

A
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements