× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 new disk capacity

Spackman
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 new disk capacity

Hi,
NAS runs Flex-Raid and I have just synced a replacement disk. Disk shows as 1.8TB available but its a 3TB. Now I read forums which clearly state that for any new disk the volume will not exceed the smallest. However
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21387 states that "In Flex-RAID mode, you can utilize the leftover space on the 3 750GB disks by creating another data volume (3 x 500GB)". So in my case I would like to create a volume for the 1TB.
Grateful for any pointers as to how I should go about this task.
TIA
Spackman
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Your link is for the duo v1, not the v2. I'm not sure, but I don't think it applies to the v2.

If it did apply, you'd need to switch to flexraid, which requires a factory reset, reconfiguring the NAS and restoring your data from backup.

A simpler option is to get a second 3 TB drive.
Message 2 of 6
Spackman
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB
Would a work around for me be to remove my nearly full "C" and "D" disks and insert the 'new' 3TB which would enable a 3TB volume to be created? Once up and running could I then insert either of the 'old' disks and use the backup function to effective move directories from the 'old' disks to the newly created volume?
Can it be that simple?
TIA
Spackman
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Are you running jbod? I'm puzzled on how you can have a C and D volume, but also have synced a 3 TB drive on a 2-bay unit.
Message 4 of 6
Spackman
Aspirant

StephenB
RAID Type is Flex-RAID; its a while back and I think I set it up as just a bunch of disks. Is there any way I can check? Each disk show as RAID 0 (Non-Redundant).
Yes I have two disks/volumes, C and D. I removed the 'old' D whilst NAS was switched off and inserted the 'new' 3TB after switching the NAS back on. Since the 3TB can only be synced to 2TB I've swapped the 'old' 2TB back in.
Sorry for the confusion.
Spackman
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Got it. So if you have jbod, then what you want to do is destroy the D volume, and create a new one with the new drive. Then recover the data from backup. You'll end up with a 2 TB C volume and a 3 TB D volume. You actually aren't syncing anything.

Unfortunately I don't own a v2 nas, so I am not sure how to destroy the existing volume. Hopefully a v2 owner will chime in.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements