× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - no partitions

DieselDriver
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - no partitions

Hello,

some weeks ago I had to replace one defective harddisk. Then after the sync (RAID 1) everything ran without problems.

Some days ago the Netgear tool shows "damaged root directory" and does not boot.

So I tried to connect the harddisks to a computer but I cannot see any partitions on all the three (one defective, two working harddisks) harddisks.

A partition recovery with testdisk also does not help.

Normally there should be some partitions (at least one LVM) on the disk, shouldn't?

Thanks, a lot.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DieselDriver
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - no partitions

UFS Explorer 5.26 also worked fine to recover all the data.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@DieselDriver wrote:

So I tried to connect the harddisks to a computer but I cannot see any partitions on all the three (one defective, two working harddisks) harddisks.

You should see partitions in the Windows Disk Manager, but of course you can't mount them w/o linux tools.

How large are the disks?  Some older USB/SATA adapters fail with disks > 2 TB.

What firmware are you running in the NAS?  I'm asking because it's important to confirm the model (the labeling is confusing, and many v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2).

A v1

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front chassis
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • might say v2 on labels on the side or back.

A v2

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front chassis
  • runs 5.3.x firmware.
Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

TestDisk claims to understand MDADM and BTRFS, but may not be looking for a BTRFS file system on an MDADM RAID.  I just hope it found nohing ir knew what to do with, and thus wrote nothing to the drives.  Otherwise, it could have made things worse.

Message 3 of 7
DieselDriver
Aspirant

Ok, I have a A v1

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front chassis
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • might say v2 on labels on the side or back

On backside there I see ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2, default FW was V4.1.6. now there is the latest on it which was available for this device.

The harddisks has a capacity of 1TB (I tried it with an SATA2USB adapter and directly via SATA inside a computer).

In former times I recovered data from any other ReadyNASDuo v1 and there I could saw the partitions with fdisk or testdisk.

I find it strange that none of the disks have any partition on it.

Which tool do you suggest me to mount one of the disks?

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@DieselDriver wrote:

Which tool do you suggest me to mount one of the disks?

Try R-linux for Windows (which is free).  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Note that in your ReadyNAS the mirrored disk isn't partitioned the same way as the main one, and you won't see a partition for the data volume on it.  But you will on the main disk (which is usually disk 1).

I also suggest running vendor tools to test the disk in the PC - Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate.

Message 5 of 7
DieselDriver
Aspirant

Thanks.

In meantime I tried the UFS Explorer Professional Recovery 7.14 and it's working for the disk 2.

On disk 1 I will try R-Studio 8.

Message 6 of 7
DieselDriver
Aspirant

UFS Explorer 5.26 also worked fine to recover all the data.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements