× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v2 sees 4TB drive as 1.7TB

gscholland
Follower

ReadyNAS Duo v2 sees 4TB drive as 1.7TB

Hello - I am trying to upgrade my ReadyNAS Duo v2. It was originally shipped as 2 x 1TB drives. The label on the bottom bottom of the ReadyNAS Duo says it's a v2 so I used the hardware compatability list on Neatgear's site to verify that the Western Digitial Red 4TB drive was compatible.

I've installed one of the drives in bay 2, let it initialise and sync with the original 1TB drive in bay 2 which has completed but before I go and replace the 1TB drive in the first bay and let it do the initialise and resync again (then reboot to allow volume expansion to happen) I noticed that the 4TB drive is listed in the admin GUI as 1678GB.

Question therefore is whether a reboot will cause the ReadyNAS to then recognise it as a 4TB drive and do the volume expansion to 4TB or is the fact that it is seen and reported as a 1678GB drive (1.7TB) drive saying that I either don't have a Duo v2 unit (but sticker says it's v2) or drive has issue? I've read posts about drives being shipped as MBR not GPT and that people have had to hook a drive up to a PC and use a WD tool to prepare the drive as GPT before hooking it up to a NAS, but that would imply that the ReadyNAS Duo v2 doesn't prepare a drive as GPT in the first place.

(I get it that I need to replace both drives and sync to complete before reboot to do the volume expansion but my 'worry' is that it'll only expand to ~1.7TB and not ~4TB as the ReadyNAS thinks the drive is only 1.7TB in size?)

Attaching what I see in the Admin GUI along with a photo the underside of my ReadyNAS Duo which says it's a v2 🙂

Any help or advice would be appreciated - thanks!!

Model: RND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 1TB (1 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 sees 4TB drive as 1.7TB

@gscholland wrote:

The label on the bottom of the ReadyNAS Duo says it's a v2 rive is only 1.7TB in size?)

Attaching what I see in the Admin GUI along with a photo the underside of my ReadyNAS Duo which says it's a v2 🙂

The labeling is confusing - and you have a v1.  A v2 would give you a very different admin GUI.

A v1 (original Sparc-based) Duo

• says Duo on the front panel
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • may have a v2 label on the bottom or back.  This indicates a minor hardware revision - not that you have a v2 platform.

A v2 (ARM-based) Duo

• says Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

Your NAS is limited to 2 TB disks, since it doesn't support GPT formatting.  Using larger disks will result in getting a smaller volume size (generally less than 2 TB).  I suggest putting back the original disk for now (replace it with the NAS running), and either exchange your disks for 2 TB Reds, or purchase a new OS-6 NAS.  The RN212 is the equivalent of your Duo - though it is much faster, and has more features.

@gscholland wrote:

I used the hardware compatability list on Netgear's site to verify that the Western Digitial Red 4TB drive was compatible.

They don't keep that up to date for the legacy products, so most of the disks listed are no longer sold.  It's not a useful guide anymore.  NAS-purposed drives (WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf) are both good choices for your NAS.  Though again, you can't go over 2 TB.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements