× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo very very slow

peterhugill
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo very very slow

Need help before i put it in the bin, Got a Readynas Duo 4TB installed accross 2 drives.

Problem is its very slow when accessing Videos and Pictures as it may take 1min or 2min to load a picture

I am running Windows 7
And cisco wag320n router

please Help

Had a look at almost everything on this forum, i have change mtu as advised.

Any help would be good thanks

p.s copied a video over which failed more times than anything and i was get about 50kb
Message 1 of 12
arjoseph1
Tutor

Did you try eliminating any possible network issues by connecting the NAS directly to your PC? Is it happenning on more than 2 computers? Can you please describe your network layout?
Message 2 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

Two computer connected to a cisco 320 router/modem and the nas drive connected to that, laptop connecting over wireless, both windows 7 sp 1, tried cable direct as well with no joy
Message 3 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

Seem to have a new problem, power the unit down using the shutdown option, now when i turned it back on the power light has been flashing along with the activity led and hdd2 led

and ideas
Message 4 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

Oh i can ping the unit, but cant access any mapped drives and get to the web interface
Message 5 of 12
sphardy1
Apprentice

The symptoms, especially the latest, suggests there's a strong possibility that one of your drives is bad.

I expect that the NAS is currently resyncing a drive which is why you cannot access the web interface (resync is resource intensive and so can cause web access to time out plus you have the single flashing LED). You can verify by using the RAIDar utility.

You would be advised to test both disks using vendor tools - what drives are installed in the NAS? Have you upgraded the disks or were they supplied with the unit? What version of firmware do you have installed on the NAS?
Message 6 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

hi
The drive are Seagate 2TB 3.5" SATA3 6Gbs 64MB Hard Drive ST2000DL003

it is now doing a resync, after it said it was doing a file system check with give me this below

Thu Jul 28 11:38:15 GMT 2011 A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime.
Thu Jul 28 11:37:31 GMT 2011 Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 2. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead.

these are the logs which came after i switch it back on

firmware on the nas is RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043]

But the thing runs very slow, i have been reading it seems to be a problem with windows 7 and the mtu values, which i have changed??
Message 7 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

One disc was supplied i added another one, same model etc
Message 8 of 12
sphardy1
Apprentice

You stated that you have very slow performance even when directly connected to the NAS. That typically suggests 1 of 3 things

1. NAS fault - most commonly a drive issue
2. PC problem - often a driver issue, particularly for Windows users
3. Cable problem - they can and do break

I would suggest you check out all 3 as follows to establish a baseline before changing any further settings:

1. Check your drives using the Seagate tools - you would need to attach each disk to a PC via a SATA connection to do this
2. Do you have a RealTek based NIC? If so - search the forum for "realtek" and you will find many posts re. drive issues. If not, at a minimun make sure your drives are up to date
3. Retest via a direct connection using different cables to rule out the possibility that is the source of your issue.
Message 9 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

how do i find out if its a realtek
its says broadcom
Message 10 of 12
sphardy1
Apprentice

In a cmd window type: ipconfig -all

In the output you should see something like this - the description field describing the NIC installed (In my case an Intel NIC)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-92-D2-6F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Message 11 of 12
peterhugill
Aspirant

hi

i am getting this in error checking