× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo won't boot

b4pjoe
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo won't boot

Info on bottom says RND2110v2.

I bought this unit used a couple of years ago and it worked fine until about 6 months ago and it would not start up. I suspected a power brick issue but at the time I bought a new Netgear NAS and moved the HD's into the new NAS and put this NAS in the closet. Now l would like to get the old NAS working again. I bought a new power brick for it and now when I turn the unit on I hear the fan and a new HD spin up so it sounds normal but when I press the power button the blue power light, the green act light and the two green HD lights all flash 3 times and then stop. When they stop the green HD light flashes 2 times and then it repeats back to all 4 lights flashing 3 times and HD 1 light flashes 2 times etc...

I've tried both the factory reset and the OS install but it doesn't work as no matter how I try to boot it, all I get is the flashing light sequence as explained above. Any idea how to get out of this loop and do Factory Reset?

Message 1 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does the NAS show in RAIDar?

I think the error you are seeing might be "No Disks Detected"

Message 2 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

No it is not showing in RAIDar. The light at the network port is not on which I think would mean it won't show up on the network. The old IP was in the 192.168.1.x range and it never showed up there so changed my IP on the PC to 192.168.168.167 but it still didn't see it.
Message 3 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

Just to be sure I took a disk and deleted all partitions and created a new NTFS partition and put that in the NAS. Made no difference.
Message 4 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you delete all partitions you should not create a new partition. Try seeing if it will boot with a disk that has no partitions on it.

Message 5 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

OK, I took the hard drive back to the Windows PC and deleted the partition. Put it in the NAS but no change. Still the same series of flashing lights from my first post when I turn it on. Still the same series of flashing lights when I try the factory reset or OS Install.

Message 6 of 29
StephenB
Guru

What hard drive are you using?  The duo only supports 2 TB and less.

The decoder ring for the blinking lights is here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by a 1 second delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 – Vendor mismatch
2 – No disks detected
3 – Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 – Flash error
5 – Unsupported RAID configuration

Message 7 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

At first I was using two 1 TB disks. Then I tried one 1 TB disk. Then I tried a single 250 MB disk. No joy with any of them. And I tried the single disks in both slot 1 and slot 2.

I had found that site with the blinking lights in my search however the blink sequence on mine doesn't matche any of those.

Message 8 of 29
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello b4pjoe,

If you have any important data stored to any of the disks you will use with the NAS, backup the data. Then factory reset again. Factory reset with the disks inserted. You cannot use NTFS as the NAS does not use that file system format for HDDs inserted to it, factory resetting the NAS with the disks inserted will let the NAS format the disks to EXT3/4.

After factory reset, check RAIDar again. See HCL too for disk compatibility.

If the NAS is still nto being detected by the RAIDar and the LED activities are still not going normal, check the disks with diagnostic tools.

Regards,

Message 9 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

The info on my first post may be misleading as I posted the info on the bottom says:

I assumed that meant it was a ReadyNAS Duo v2 but that is not the case. The model number shows: RND2110-100NAS which I believe means it is just a ReadyNAS Duo. The disks I have been trying are Seagate Pipeline HD .2 ST31000322CS which are on the hardware compatibility list linked above. There is no data on these disks and while I have not ran diagnostics on them they do work in my Windows PC. I have deleted the partitions so they show unallocated in Windows Disk Management. The sequence of lights I've listed previously does the same whether I have 2 disks, 1 disk, or no disk in the NAS. I've tried the reset by pressing the reset button, turning on the unit, waiting 5+ seconds and releasing the reset button as well as trying to do an OS install by pressing the reset button, turning on the unit, waiting 25+ seconds and releasing the reset button and still nothing happens. I tried that last night and then left it on overnight but this morning the same sequence of lights was still going. I also tried plugging the network cable from the NAS into the network card on a Windows PC but the adapter reports the cable is unplugged so definitely the network port on the NAS is not working presently.

I will check the disks with the diagnostic tools today as well.

Message 10 of 29
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello b4pjoe,

To perform a factory reset, continue to hold the Reset button until all Disk LEDs flash twice (once at 5 seconds and then 25 seconds later), and then release the button as shown at instructions how to access boot menu of ReadyNAS Duov1

If same problem and disks are good based on diagnostic tools, please contact support center to cehck the warranty.

Regards,

Message 11 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@b4pjoe wrote:

The info on my first post may be misleading as I posted the info on the bottom says:

I assumed that meant it was a ReadyNAS Duo v2 but that is not the case. The model number shows: RND2110-100NAS which I believe means it is just a ReadyNAS Duo.

Correct. You have a duo v1.

I have deleted the partitions so they show unallocated in Windows Disk Management. The sequence of lights I've listed previously does the same whether I have 2 disks, 1 disk, or no disk in the NAS.

I will check the disks with the diagnostic tools today as well.

Since you tried powering up with unformatted disks, there is no point to doing the paper-clip factory reset (sorry to disagree JennC...).  If disks are unformatted, the NAS has to do a factory install.

So its either failed drives or a failed chassis.  The next step is clearly to test the disks with Seatools in a PC.

If the disks check out, then I think you should look for a new NAS (assuming warranty has expired, which is likely).  The equivalent to your duo is the RN102 - which is much faster than the duo, and quite inexpensive (~$119 on Amazon US today). There are of course several more capable models that cost more.

FWIW I still use my duo, but I won't invest much time or money in keeping it running.  It's been reliable, but technology moves on...

Message 12 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

Correct. There is no warranty. I bought this unit used on eBay a couple of years ago. I can't even register it as it tells me the serial number is already registered, assuming it was registered by the previous owner. I will check the disks later this evening as I am at work right now. I had actually checked Amazon and saw that unit for $119. If the disks check OK I'll probably just get the new NAS. I really don't want to spend anymore money on this after buying the new power brick.

Message 13 of 29
StephenB
Guru

If the disks do pass, you could try the USB boot recovery on the duo.  http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_can_i_perform_a_boot_recovery_using_a_usb_flash_device

There is some risk, but if you are at the point of tossing the duo anyway it is a free thing you could attempt.

Message 14 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

Unfortunately up until now trying to boot into any mode doesn't work. Once I hit the power button the flashing sequnce I described in my first post is all I ever see.

Message 15 of 29
StephenB
Guru

This sequence has you hold the power button for ~20 sec.

Message 16 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

Once I verify the disk I will give it a go...assuming the factory reset doesn't happen.

Message 17 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@b4pjoe wrote:

Once I verify the disk I will give it a go...assuming the factory reset doesn't happen.

The procedure (which is a last resort, not normally used unless support tells you to) reinstalls the firmware into the NAS flash using a USB boot device.  

So you don't need an internal disk installed to use it.  But you should confirm that the disk is good before you try it.  The idea was that if you were about the trash the duo anyway you'd have nothing to lose.

Message 18 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

So in the instructions for "Boot Recovery using a USB Flash Device" it says:

"Power down the ReadyNAS, insert the USB flash device, and depress the power button on the front for approximately 20 secs – you'll see all the disk LEDs blink once at 5 secs, 10 secs, 15 secs, and 20 secs. Release the button right after the 4th blink. This will start the USB boot recovery process. Once the fan and the lights shut off and the lcd screen displays “Attemp”, press the power button and the unit will boot up normally."

There is no LCD on my ReadyNAS Duo so are these the correct instructions for it?

Message 19 of 29
StephenB
Guru

They are the only instructions I know about, and they say "duo/nv+/1100".  Maybe someone from Netgear can chime in, and say how to handle the case where there is no LCD.

Message 20 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

Oops! Well I guess I should have looked at the manual...in it it says:

"Press the Power button and continue to press it for 20 seconds; release after all Disk LEDs flash 4 times."

Message 21 of 29
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello b4pjoe,

I think this is the orginal instructions. It is IF you have ReadyNAS NV+ that has LCD display.

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=159

Before doing the USB boot on the ReadyNAS, remove any additional USB devices (UPS, Printers, etc..) that are connected to the ReadyNAS. Connect the USB flash drive to any USB port and hold down the power button for 20 seconds until after the hard drive lights blink the 4rth time. While you are holding down the power button, you will see the hard drive lights flash at 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec and finally at 20 seconds. After you let go of the power button, you will see the following information on the LCD screen during the USB boot if you have a ReadyNAS NV+.

Regards,

Message 22 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

OK the Boot Recovery using a USB flash device does not work.

No matter how I try starting this unit as soon as the power button is pressed I get the 3 quick flashes of the power, act, hd1 and hd2 lights followed by two flashes of the hd 1 light and it repeats that sequence over and over. That is all I ever get whether I try to boot with the reset button depressed for 5 or 25 seconds or whether I hold the power button down for 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 seconds. Or if I just press the power button and release it. That particular flashing sequence is all it ever does. Wouldn't Netgear know what that sequence of lights mean? I mean someone had to program it to flash those lights in that sequence right?

Message 23 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@b4pjoe wrote:

OK the Boot Recovery using a USB flash device does not work.

No matter how I try starting this unit as soon as the power button is pressed I get the 3 quick flashes of the power, act, hd1 and hd2 lights followed by two flashes of the hd 1 light and it repeats that sequence over and over. That is all I ever get whether I try to boot with the reset button depressed for 5 or 25 seconds or whether I hold the power button down for 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 seconds. Or if I just press the power button and release it. That particular flashing sequence is all it ever does. Wouldn't Netgear know what that sequence of lights mean? I mean someone had to program it to flash those lights in that sequence right?

The LED decoder ring is here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324  Your particular sequence means "no disks found".  mdgm already told you that on the first page of this thread btw.

Did you try the USB recovery sequence with the needed flash drive?  Or just hold down the power button w/o it?

If you are getting the "no disks detected" error on a normal startup with known good disks properly installed, then that suggests that Duo's system board (e.g. the SATA interface) has failed.  Are you hearing the disk spin when you power on the unit?

Message 24 of 29
b4pjoe
Aspirant

OK. It seems I do not have any disks on the compatibility list that pass SeaTools or the WD diags. I do have two new 2 TB disks coming that are on the Compatibility list.

When trying the USB Recovery I created the flash drive and inserted it into the USB port on the front. Then I pressed the Power button and held it down for twenty seconds and released it. Still get the same flashing lights whether there is a hard drive or not in the unit.

When I do power the unit up I hear the fan starting up but it is hard to tell by sound if the hard drive is spinning up and it is also hard to tell by touching the hard drive if it is spinning since I feel vibration from the NAS itself. I tried to power it up and then removeing the hard drive to see if I could feel it spinning down and it really feels like it wasn't so I kind of think the hard drives are not spinning up. Also have tried starting the unit with a hard drive and without a hard drive and the sound is the same both ways. With my old power brick the power light comes on but the fan does not spin, the HD's do not spin and the light by the network port does not light up. With the new power brick the fans start but I don't think the HD's are spinning and I have no light by the netowrk port. I'm thinking maybe the new power brick might be faulty. Both the old and new power bricks are labeled as 12V and 5A. I've checked the voltage on both the old and new power brick. The old shows about 11.5 volts while the new one shows about 12.5 volts. I don't have a way of checking the amps since the meter has to be put in the circuit to get an amp reading and that is close to impossible with the kind of power plug on the ReadyNAS Duo.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements