× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo won't expand

theokr
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo won't expand

When I bought this ReadyNAS, it had 2 drives in it, each 750GB. Now, I've added new 3TB drives and it simply won't expand - I'm stuck at 750GB. Nothing happens. The satus is just "Healthy".

The configuration is X-RAID, running firmware 4.1.15-T3 (according to RAIDar). I even installed the ForceExansion add-in here but nothing.

I'm at a loss and none of the suggestions seemed to have worked. I've disabled journaling and spin-down, rebooted loads of times.

Any suggestions?

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo won't expand

@theokr wrote:

When I bought this ReadyNAS, it had 2 drives in it, each 750GB. Now, I've added new 3TB drives and it simply won't expand

Your NAS is an old design, and is limited to a max drive size of 2 TB.  So you'll need to return or repurpose the 3 TB ones.

If this is a duo, then it only has 2 slots.  Did you mean you did a new install? 

Message 2 of 4
theokr
Aspirant

Yes, I did a new install. I put 1 new drive in and did a full factory reset. Then I read online that expansion won't ocur with only 1 drive installed so I installed the 2nd 3TB drive and still stuck at 750GB.

I installed the ForceExpansion add-on from the netgear site which did nothing also.

So basically, no hope in even expanding the volumes to the NAS maximum of 2TB. I was (incorrectly) under the impression the latest firmware would allow this.

In the end I gave up and bought a Synology which sounds defeatist but that worked out of the box no questions asked, no config required.

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@theokr wrote:

So basically, no hope in even expanding the volumes to the NAS maximum of 2TB. I was (incorrectly) under the impression the latest firmware would allow this.

As I said here, your duo was not capable of working with disks > 2 TB.

Any current ReadyNAS of course would have handled them with no problem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements