× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Hard Drive Compatability List`

wdolson
Guide

ReadyNAS Hard Drive Compatability List`

This pretty much applies to all the current ReadyNAS desktops.  The hard drive compatability list appears to be the same for all of them.  I notice the Seagate Exos drives are on the list up to the 14TB, but the 16 TB drive has been out for at least six months and it's not on the list.  I was wondering if the system had a compatability issue with that drive in particular or if Netgear just hasn't updated the list for a while?  There are two other 16TB drives on the list.

Model: RN428|ReadyNAS 428 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wdolson

If you are asking if it will work or not, I can say it will specially if it has the same spec with the other drives present on the list. The list can be regarded as suggested list instead of compatible since the drives that have been listed there were tested already.

ReadyNAS OS 6 devices should be able to handle 16TB drives but again, it is always advisable to use NAS purposed drives.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wdolson

If you are asking if it will work or not, I can say it will specially if it has the same spec with the other drives present on the list. The list can be regarded as suggested list instead of compatible since the drives that have been listed there were tested already.

ReadyNAS OS 6 devices should be able to handle 16TB drives but again, it is always advisable to use NAS purposed drives.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

EXOS drives are of course enterprise-class, so they are intended for use in NAS (e.g., RAID arrays ).

They do use a lot of power, (10 watts max) so you might need to use the "cool" fan control setting in the NAS.

Message 3 of 4
wdolson
Guide

Thanks for the quick feedback.  The Exos drives tend to run a little less expensive than some of the other Seagate drives and I was wondering why because they have a 5 year warranty and otherwise appear to be equal or better than most of the other drives available.  The higher power usage may explain it.

I was going to ask where the fan settings are, but I found then on the Performance page.  I set the fans to Cool just for good measure.  Noise is not really a problem where the system is and heat kills eventually.  Best to keep the electronics as cool as reasonable.  Just checked and both System and CPU temps dropped 10 C while I was writing this.  Good information to know!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements