× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Management services offline after 6.5.2 update

Xaarman
Guide

ReadyNAS Management services offline after 6.5.2 update

I have been using my RN104 successfully since it installation.

Running 4 x 3TB approved drives without incident.

Installing firmware upgrades when prompted.

But with the upgrade from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2, I now cannot access the management services through Netgear RAIDar.

Though I still have access to the data across the network.

I have performed an OS reinstall but ended up with same result.

Factory reset is not a prefered option at this stage.

Interestingly enough, in RADar, it only shows 3 disc active on the unit all 4 lights are active.

How can I attempt to resolve this?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It appears the problem is now fixed. The system has booted up and the management service is offline.

Still it's good to have a backup.

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 34

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you download the logs using RAIDar 6.1 and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

I have downloaded a fresh copy of Raidar 6.1 but the RN104 is still not accessible.

The "Management Service is offline" (text is in orange)

Am I missing something?

I also have an RN102 (which is not registered) and I also upgraded the firmware to 6.5.2 with no problems.........Now that I think about it, when I was downloading the firmware upgrade for the RN104, I had an internet outage and had to cancel the download about 1/3 of the way through. I restarted the download later, when the internet was back up, and performed the full dowload, upgrade of firmware and reboot without interruption. And that is when I saw the "Management Service is offline" message.....!

Are we still with a chance of saving the day?

Message 3 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In RAIDar you should see a button to download the logs. Download the logs, then send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

The NAS verifies the integrity of the firmware image you upload to it before proceeding with the firmware update, so I don't think the interrupted firmware download would be it.

Message 4 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Sorry missed that.

I have now sent the logs Attn: mdgm.

Raidar is still showing only 3 discs as active for this unit. Is this part of the same error?

Message 5 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show four disks.

Does the web admin interface come up fine if you boot the system into volume read-only mode?

Message 6 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Performed reboot into "Volume Read only" mode and yes I can access the RN104 through Raidar.

This is looking optomistic. How may I proceed?

Message 7 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Next step would be to backup your data.

Message 8 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

I find that amusing. The RN104 is where I back up my data. I bought this device rather than a large HDD so that the data would be safe.

I now need to break off this conversation (temporarily) while I purchase another storage device.

Are we able to continue this in a day or so after I back up the data on my device?

Many thanks for you help.

Message 9 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your system was last factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) on 6.1.4. It's best to have last factory reset on 6.1.5 or later.

Message 10 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

All good. I was expecting a "factory reset" but hoping we may avoid it.

I have found room on my two other Netgear NAS devices. An RN102 and a Readynas NV+ (4 disc).

BUT the transfer speed copying from NAS to NAS even from PC to NAS (in any combination) drops tp 10 - 90kbs.

This slow transfer has always been the case so I just assumde it was normal.

I do notice that when I select 14 files or less and copy to NAS device, transfer speed hovers around 3MBs.

I know this may be a sepparate issue but can you offer any guidance as to how to improve the speed? So I can back up the RN104.

Message 11 of 34
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Is your management services still offline in 6.5.2?

The service that handles the UI (readynasd) being offline is the reason you'd get "management services offline"

I noticed here in your logs: Sep 22 19:18:57 Movies_NAS readynasd[2348]: readynasd is halted.

I'm curious as to why readynasd is halted.

I noticed you have SSH enabled. Can you check 'systemctl status readynasd.service' and PM me the output?

Thanks

Message 12 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

"Is your management services still offline in 6.5.2?"

I have just turned on the RN104 and Raidar has shown the sysem as Healthy but going into share I recieved the error:

The system offered to send the log to Netgear which I did.

"The service that handles the UI (readynasd) being offline is the reason you'd get "management services offline"

I noticed here in your logs: Sep 22 19:18:57 Movies_NAS readynasd[2348]: readynasd is halted.

I'm curious as to why readynasd is halted."

Don't know why. I just turn the unit off and on and move data around.

"I noticed you have SSH enabled"

Shall I turn it off?

"Can you check 'systemctl status readynasd.service' and PM me the output?"

I don't understand how to do this.

Message 13 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As you had SSH enabled kohdee assumed that you were comfortable and familiar with using it. I have sent you a PM (Private Message) with an alternative suggestion.

Message 14 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

I have sent you those details as requested.

Just setting up to back up the drive but "time" stand in the way.

I have 4TB to back up and I am getting 400KB/s transfer speed from NAS to NAS across my network.....

That is going to be a long time before the data is coppied into a safe place.

Do you have any suggestions?

Message 15 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How are you backing up the files? Using a backup job running on one of the units or another method?

Message 16 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Just copying from one drive to the other.

Are you suggesting that there be a performance difference/increase if we do it as a "back up" within a nas opperating system?

Message 17 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Copying the files using Windows Explorer you'd be copying the files from one NAS to your PC then to the other NAS rather than directly between the two.

Message 18 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

If I connect a large USB3 drive to the USB slot on the unit will that be a faster transfer?

Message 19 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Backup jobs would probably be fastest. If you connect a USB disk, but use Windows Explorer you'll be copying from NAS to your PC then back over your network to the NAS onto the USB disk.

Message 20 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Xaarman wrote:

If I connect a large USB3 drive to the USB slot on the unit will that be a faster transfer?

That depends.  If you drag/drop data from your PC, then no - that data will also be routed through the PC.

If you connect a USB drive to the RN104 and then set up a backup using the web ui, the backup will run faster.  I measured around 55 MB/sec last spring using an NTFS-formatted SSD drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure.  That was on an RN102 running 6.5.0-RC2 (a beta release).  

Backing up RN104->RN102 using NFS will be that fast or faster.  RN104->NV+ will be slower (15-20 MB/sec).

If you use USB backup, check the snapshot settings on the shares and make sure you have "allow shapshot access" unchecked.

Message 21 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Thank you for your advice.

Irony is I was just about to decomission (and sell) the RN102.......

Just so I understand....

I have about 4+TB of data on the RN104 to save.

I do not have enough space at the moment to transfer it to.

If I have read the literature correctly, I can do an upgrade of the RN102 by using new drives: 2 x 6TB (WD RED WD60EFRX) which will give me about 5+TB of free space.

I think it will take about 7 days to complete this task by the time the RN102 formats/assimilates both drives.

*Can I replace these drives one at a time to save the data on the RN102?

THEN I must set up "Netgear back up" to copy the data from the RN104 to the RN102.

The transfer speed will be approx 50MB/s. My calculations suggest this will be a 24hr process via my modem - TP-link W8960N

Once this is done, we "fix" the RN104 and return the data back.

Does this sound correct and feasable?

Message 22 of 34
StephenB
Guru

I don't think it will take a full week to sync 2x6TB RAID-1, but you can certainly save some time by setting up the RN102 w/o RAID.  For instance, create 2 independent volumes (~6 TB each).  Perhaps back up everything to volume 1 over the network, and then copy volume 1 to volume 2 internally if you want a little more safety.  Or just backup some shares to volume 1, and other shares to volume 2.

You could use rsync for the backup instead of NFS, though that is slower.  If you want to keep the RN102 running as a backup NAS, it might be worth the extra time to set it up that way from the beginning.

FWIW I use my RN102 as a backup to my main NAS (a pro-6 running RAID-5).  The RN102 has a WD60EFRX and a WD80EFZX, both as separate volumes - giving me ~14 TB of backup space.  I have another backup NAS (an RN202) similarly configured.  I'm comfortable w/o RAID since I have two separate backups.

Message 23 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Thank your you advice.

Though I have some technical skills I don't have the time to educate myself for this task.

I bought the NAS as a "turnkey" solution! And, up until now, it has worked a treat.

Now that I know the new drives will work, I will perservere to change the drives and backup as I had listed earlier.

One way or another, the data needs to go to a new location while repairs are undertaken.

Message 24 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

I am in the process of purchasing a new RN104. (Could you confirm that all the RN104s can handle 32TB of disc space?)

Once I have this formatted the new unit and backed up the data, I will be back to you.

I am assuming here that we will end up doing a "factory reset". Is this right?

If so shall I just go ahead and do the factory reset from the boot menue when we are ready and backed up.

Do I leave the drives in out out when I do the factory reset?

If I leave them out for the reset, is there a chance that the data will still be intact when I put them back in?

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements