× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Management services offline after 6.5.2 update

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Management services offline after 6.5.2 update

You'd be better off getting a RN204/RN214 or an x86 model imo for use with 8TB disks, but the RN104 does have some 8TB disks on the compatibility list so they would work.

If you haven't committed to the 104 yet check if you can get a 204 or 214 for about the same.

The whole purpose of a factory reset is to wipe the disks so you need to leave the disks in.

Message 26 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Thank you for your input but I have already committed to an RN104 (it was an offer too good to refuse) and I will fit 2x 6TB (as specified WD) discs in it.

It is only for storage so it should be fine. I have had no troubles with the RN104 and RN102 except for now. The NV and the NV+ seem quite fragile which is why I was decommissioning them just as this current problem occured.

So, just to confirm. Your best solution to this problem with the RN104 is to do a factory reset. Is that correct?

Message 27 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

You'd be better off getting a RN204/RN214 or an x86 model imo for use with 8TB disks, but the RN104 does have some 8TB disks on the compatibility list so they would work.

If you are planning to set up 4 data volumes (one per disk) then the RN100 series should work out ok.  I have one 8 TB volume and one 6 TB volume in my RN102, and I am seeing no problems.  I use that to back up a larger NAS, so it is set up to maximize storage.

But if you are planning to use Raid redundancy (xraid, raid-5 etc), then I agree that a higher performing NAS would be a much better choice.  RAID resync will be very slow on an RN100 series (as well as volume maintenance functions).  And the NAS performance will be poor while that is going on.

BTW, joining 4x8TB into a single 32 TB jbod or raid-0 volume would be a bad idea.  Everything is lost when one drive fails, and restoring a 32 TB volume from backup will take a while.

Have you thought about a backup plan?  That can be challenging with very large data volumes.

Message 28 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Thank you for your advice but I was not going to make 4 volumes. I was just making sure that there was no difference in manufactured versions of thr RN104 as the one I have bought was "cheap" but new.

With time on my hands while I wait I offer my personal view of what a NAS should do and the failure of this system:

1/ It provides a system to back up data from the main, working computer(s) to a central location and ensure that the data is SAFE.

So the concept of a multi drive RAID makes sense because if a single drive fails the data can be recued and rebuilt. To have a single drive/volume NAS backup does not make sense because if the drive fails.....well, thats it.

Hence I have the RN104 to STORE valuable data and access it should I need and know it is secure.

2/ To provide the backed up data across the network in one operation: backup, share, retrieve or modefied across the network.

Not to be an active working drive where data is modefied on a second to second basis as we work.

If I wanted that I would just put a new drive into the computer.

So here Netgear has excelled and provided a cost effective turnkey solution to backup data.

BUT

Where NETGEAR has failed is NOT accepting that fact that the housing, the RN104 (etc), can fail and NETGEAR fails to provide an effective back up plan and I don't mean to backup to thier cloud.

If a drive fails, you replace the drive, data rebuilt and you go on knowing the data is safe.

If the housing fails, you, effectivly, throw the housing and the drives in the rubbish heap and start again.

Netgear should have another "Boot Menu" option where, if the housing fails, the the user can simply pull the functioning drives out of the non working housing and insert them into fresh, "new" housing. The drives should be intergrated without ecception and the data preserved.

Not waste valuable manhours tinkering.

Don't say this is not possible because I did exacly that with my old original two drive unit when it failed.

In the mean time my new RN104 is arriving.

My new blank drives will be formating a short time later.

After a day or so of formating, I will back up the data from the failed RN104 to the new RN104.

Then do a factory reset on the failed RN104, effectivly deleting all the data.

Then back up the data back to the original drive.

Message 29 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Xaarman wrote:

Thank you for your advice but I was not going to make 4 volumes.

Your choice of course.  XRAID will take a very long time to sync/build the volume.

@Xaarman wrote:

Netgear should have another "Boot Menu" option where, if the housing fails, the the user can simply pull the functioning drives out of the non working housing and insert them into fresh, "new" housing. The drives should be intergrated without ecception and the data preserved.

It already does have that, with no boot menu option needed.

I suspect from this thread that you are actually wanting something slightly different - the ability to completely rebuild the OS partition without destroying data.  Not a bad idea, perhaps it should be added on the idea exchange.

Message 30 of 34
Xaarman
Guide

Yes, I know it will take a while.

But I have limited resourses and limited experience to pursue alternatives but time is plentyful.

As for the "idea exchange"...I did not know that section was there.

Just posted my comment.

Many thanks for your support.

Message 31 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the problem is on the disks (the OS is installed onto the disks) then moving to another chassis will not resolve the problem as the problem will move with the disks.

I hear from you that it's now fixed.

Having a boot menu option to wipe the OS is not something we're going to do. If the OS is wiped then the logs, configuration etc. are wiped too. These can be invaluable for assisting with a data recovery attempt if there was a problem with say the data volume.

Such a boot menu option if it existed would be used inappropriately and if the management service does go offline on recent/current firmware we do need to analyse why so we can add changes as appropriate to fix things so that other users can benefit.

Message 32 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Having a boot menu option to wipe the OS is not something we're going to do. If the OS is wiped then the logs, configuration etc. are wiped too. These can be invaluable for assisting with a data recovery attempt if there was a problem with say the data volume.

Well, there are those times when it is clear that the problem is OS corruption, and the data is fine.  It would be handy to have a way to rebuild the full OS, avoiding the pain of a factory reset.

Message 33 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It appears the problem is now fixed. The system has booted up and the management service is offline.

Still it's good to have a backup.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements