× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ 4.1.16 - Unable to copy, move, delete, or rename files or folders

Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ 4.1.16 - Unable to copy, move, delete, or rename files or folders

Running Frontview 4.1.16 on an original NV+

I am suddenly unable to do anything with Windows Explorer in Windows 10 to copy, move, delete, or rename files or folders.  A screen capture is attached.  The error always states:

"You need permission to perform this action.
"You require permission from Unix User/nobody to make changes to this file."

I've checked permissions in the CIFS and Advanced Options dropdowns in Share Listings.  Nothing seems to have changed.

I've looked at prior discussions on this forum about this issue, but I haven't found a solution that works for me.  All I'm doing is backing up my ReadyNAS Pro using Rsync to the NV+, and I need to make some changes to the backup on the NV+.

Can anyone help?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ 4.1.16 - Unable to copy, move, delete, or rename files or folders

On the CIFS page, scroll down to "advanced CIFS Permission".  Check

• Automatically set permissions on new files and folders
  • Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this.

Set new file Group rights and Everyone Rights to Read/Write.

Set  new folder Group rights and Everyone Rights to Ready/Write

Then click apply.

On advance options, you can set the file owner group to admin.

Set the share owner, group and everyone folder rights to read/write.

Check "set ownership and permission..." 

Check "grant rename and delete privileges"

Then click apply again.  

Note the "set ownership and permission" checkbox will clear when you click apply.  That is normal.  Permissions are reset in the background - there will be a pop-up when it completes (and also an entry in the log).

If you are backing up the pro to this share, then it is possible that the backup will reset the permissions.  You can make the same settings on the pro as well.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ 4.1.16 - Unable to copy, move, delete, or rename files or folders

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

I've checked permissions in the CIFS and Advanced Options dropdowns in Share Listings.

Did you try resetting the permissions for the share(s) on the advanced option page?  That will recursively set the file and folder permissions for the share when you click on apply.

Message 2 of 5
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

@StephenB

What should I set them too?  Windows 10 file & folder permissions are not carried over to the UNIX permissions of the NV+ as I understand it.  I have tried resetting them to admin, the account I log into the NV+ with, but that did nothing.

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

On the CIFS page, scroll down to "advanced CIFS Permission".  Check

• Automatically set permissions on new files and folders
  • Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this.

Set new file Group rights and Everyone Rights to Read/Write.

Set  new folder Group rights and Everyone Rights to Ready/Write

Then click apply.

On advance options, you can set the file owner group to admin.

Set the share owner, group and everyone folder rights to read/write.

Check "set ownership and permission..." 

Check "grant rename and delete privileges"

Then click apply again.  

Note the "set ownership and permission" checkbox will clear when you click apply.  That is normal.  Permissions are reset in the background - there will be a pop-up when it completes (and also an entry in the log).

If you are backing up the pro to this share, then it is possible that the backup will reset the permissions.  You can make the same settings on the pro as well.

Message 4 of 5
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

Thank-you @StephenB, that worked.  I thought I had done all of this, but by following your instructions I did it the correct way.  Bravo!

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements