× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad Firmware

sree_accts
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad Firmware

Hi,
Just tried using my first NV+. Tried booting with bad HDDs first (didn't know they were bad). The system booted and told me the HDDs were bad. So I bought a brand new HDD. Today, when I rebooted the system with the new HDD (and old ones removed), I see ERR: BAD Firmware.

I followed instructions and used USB Flash recovery that is posted online. The end wasn't "Attemp" as noted online, but it said "Successful!" and all the lights were off. I pressed the power button and the system still has the Bad firmware error.

I am using a Mac OSX to connect.

Is there anything else I should/could try? Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks much,
--Vasu
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad Firmware

Message 2 of 10
sree_accts
Aspirant

I tried that, didn't work 😞 I waited as instructed for a few seconds (until it said OS Reinstall on the display). Then let the reset switch out and it said on the display that it was reinstalling FW (firmware? not firewall..)

Still says Bad firmware..

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
--Vasu
Message 3 of 10
sree_accts
Aspirant

My bad, I didn't wait long enough. Tried it the second time (just for kicks). The display said "Factory Default" and now it says Awaiting RAIDar and such. Setting up the system now (RAIDar detects it now). I will post the results eventually, as it said something about taking a few hours.. Thanks for the suggestion. Clearly operator error in not following the instructions properly..

Thanks!
--Vasu
Message 4 of 10
sree_accts
Aspirant

That worked, thanks for the pointer! It created the file system and now the NAS is available with the amount of space I expect.

Thanks again for the pointer!

--Vasu
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad it worked. What version of RAIDiator did the NAS ship with? If it wasn't 4.1.7, I would strongly recommend upgrading to 4.1.7 and doing another factory default to get 4k sector alignment.
Message 6 of 10
Ktoby
Aspirant

I am having the same problem and I did the tftp restore. It said Successful!
But when i trun off the unit and trun it on again to reinstall , it gives me the same err:bad firmware

Please let me know what did you do to make it work.
thanks
Message 7 of 10
lbouriez
Aspirant

Reset Factory default solved my problem, I got the same message with my new NV+...
Message 8 of 10
knappagh
Aspirant

Hi Guys

Having the same issue here. Does the reset delete the data on the drive?
Message 9 of 10
PapaBear1
Guide

Yes, a factory default will wipe the drives completely and start the installation as if they were brand new drives. If you are going to do that, make sure you have all your data backed up first.

Have you tried a firmware re-install?

Process:
OS Re-Install or Factory Default
To perform an OS Re-install or Factory Default, this is managed via the Reset button on the back of the chassis.

Locate the reset pinhole.
ReadyNAS Duo/NV/NV+: the pinhole is next to the USB port in the back.
Get a straightened paper clip and depress the hidden switch in the pinhole while the power is off, and then power on the ReadyNAS.
After 5 seconds you will get the first flash of the LED's for the OS Re-install
At 30 seconds you will get the second flash of the LED's for the Factory Default.

For an OS re-install, be sure to release at the first flash (about 5 seconds). Holding the pin depressed too long will factory default. The OS reinstall will install the OS that is on the memory chip. The OS reinstall will not wipe the drives, but will reset passwords.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements