× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV No access from only 1 PC on our network

mlswayze
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV No access from only 1 PC on our network

So I have a "Head Scratcher" going on here.  I have 3 NAS's  (Ready NAS 314 Running 6.9.4, ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Running 4.2.31, and last but not least ReadyNAS NV Running 4.1.14).  I realize that the NV is a Legacy model but I have a task that caused me to fire it up again.  Here is my situation:  I have just 1 PC that can not access the shares on the NV NAS.  It can see the device as well as the shares, but when I try to access the share contents, it will not open up (only on 1 PC).  I also can not see the "share" for the user that I am trying to long on with.  I have verified my passwords and tried with multiple user accounts.  This is a Wondows 10 Pro, Workgroup set to the same name "Workgroup" as the others.  At first, I could not see many devices on the network with this PC so I had to turn on the SMB Client in the "Turn Windows features on or off" area. This PC however, CAN see and access the shares on the other 2 NAS devices.  At this time, I am not sure if this is a windows issue or a NAS issue.  Please keep in mind that I can see and access the shares from different PC on the netowork. 

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS NV No access from only 1 PC on our network

Have you tried to access via the IP address instead of the name?  Many (myself included) run into similar issues with Windows 10 that using the IP address "solves".  If it does work, but you want to be able to access via name, you can add the address for theNOS to the  HOSTS file on the PC (just Google it).

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@mlswayze wrote:

So I have a "Head Scratcher" going on here.  I have 3 NAS's  (Ready NAS 314 Running 6.9.4, ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Running 4.2.31, and last but not least ReadyNAS NV Running 4.1.14).  I realize that the NV is a Legacy model but I have a task that caused me to fire it up again.  Here is my situation:  I have just 1 PC that can not access the shares on the NV NAS.  It can see the device as well as the shares, but when I try to access the share contents, it will not open up (only on 1 PC).  I also can not see the "share" for the user that I am trying to log on with.  I have verified my passwords and tried with multiple user accounts. 

You will need SMB 1.0 installed on the Windows 10 system in order to access both the Ultra and the NV.  But it sounds like that is already done, since you are able to access shares on the Ultra.

The fact that you can't see the home share suggests that there might be a credentials issue. Try opening CMD from the windows search box and then enter:

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nv-ip-address\user /user:user user-password

Of course use the real NV IP address, and a real NAS user/password.  Be care on the typing, especially slash directions and spaces.

The first command terminates any open network sessions; the second attempts to mount the user home share as drive letter t.  If it works, you would then be able to access any other shares that user has permission to access via File Manager.

Message 3 of 4
mlswayze
Aspirant

Sorry for such a late reply.  I was finally able to get this corrected  I finally created a new user on the PC in question and was able to access the share.  Still not sure as to why the original user can not access it, but at this time I am not going to worry about it (BTW I did confirm the password was correct). 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements