× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ -RAID / HDD Upgrade

NAS002
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ -RAID / HDD Upgrade

I currently have bays 1 and 2 using identical sized 500GB HDDs, they are setup in mirror configuration.

I am looking to replace each of these disks with 2TB capacity, and retire the old ones. 

Having thought about it, would it work if I took bay 2 drive out and inserted the 2TB disk, then I imagine it would sync the bay 1 volume to new bay 2 disk? Assuming this happens, I can substitute bay 1 HDD with a fresh 2TB disk, and bay 2 should sync to bay 1?

What I ended up doing is inserting a new 2TB disk in bay 3, and what has happened is that it how has 950GBs of storage

Should I remove bay 3 disk, format it, then do above drive substitution?

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ -RAID / HDD Upgrade

@NAS002 wrote:

Having thought about it, would it work if I took bay 2 drive out and inserted the 2TB disk, then I imagine it would sync the bay 1 volume to new bay 2 disk? Assuming this happens, I can substitute bay 1 HDD with a fresh 2TB disk, and bay 2 should sync to bay 1?

Yes, this is what you should have done.

@NAS002 wrote:

What I ended up doing is inserting a new 2TB disk in bay 3, and what has happened is that it how has 950GBs of storage

That is expected.  The NAS can only use 500 GB of the new drive.

@NAS002 wrote:

Should I remove bay 3 disk, format it, then do above drive substitution?

Unfortunately that won't work now, because you've already added it to the array.  If you try it, you'll lose all the data.

If you have an NV+ v1 (running 4.1.x firmware):

What you need to do now is copy all the data off the NAS (perhaps onto the second 2 TB drive).  Then do a factory reset with just the first 2 TB drive installed.  Rebuild the NAS, reload the data from the backup.  Then hot-insert the second 2 TB drive into slot 2.

If you aren't running current firmware, you should upgrade to 4.1.15 first.

If you have an NV+ v2 (running 5.3.x firmware):

The simplest thing is to hot-insert the second drive into slot 4.  That will expand to a 3 TB total volume size.  Though if you are worried about the health of the 500 GB drives, then use the v1 procedure above.

Message 2 of 3
NAS002
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ -RAID / HDD Upgrade

HI Stephen, thanks for the reply, i will have to be more patient in the future and think before executing..!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements