× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ Stuck on booting - resyncing volume

msdev
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ Stuck on booting - resyncing volume

Have a ReadyNAS NV+ V1 (4x WD 2TB drives) that seems to have an issue.

What steps can I perform to get the device operational again or attempt recovery of my data?

If a drive has failed, can I access the data without replacing the failed drive? (Isn't this what RAID systems do?)

If I replace the drive that is flashing, will the system rebuild / resync it? or will I lose the data?

This is what happened so far:

Accessing the Web Admin page, there was a message that one of the drives had a reset, and that I should peform a RESYNC.

At the time I was still able to access the data from the RAID device mounted on my computer.

I inavertantly clicked 'resync', (had opened menu to look at options) and the system became unresponsive.

The mount disconnected, and after a time the LCD display was off and there was no response from the mounted share (disconnected) and the web admin page would not load.

waited a day, then pressed Power button to turn off system.

Power on and system stuck at rebooting for another day and a half.

press and hold power off.

Power on again and select 'skip disk check' from boot options

System says 'booting.. resyncing volume'

can ping system, shows up on RAIDar widget (Mac OSX), big OK, and all drive lights green.

Shows the correct data usage.. 2530 GB (45%) of 55389 GB used, RAID Level X,

Raidiator 4.1.10

RAIDar app finds device ok.

Again shows all lights green.

Cannot connect to device with file share or web admin.

On the device, disk1 light is flashing, disk2,3,4 lights are solid.

Display shows: Booting.. Resyncing volume.

Thank you for any assistance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Stuck on booting - resyncing volume

@msdev wrote:

It looks like disk 1 is the drive that's resyncing.  That normally won't take more than 24 hours (though it's been a while since I did a resync on my own NV+). That suggests that a drive might be having trouble - but it's not necessarily the drive that is resyncing.

If you hover over disk 1 in RAIDar, you should get some progress information.  It'd be helpful to know the progress and the estimated completion time.

@msdev wrote:

I inavertantly clicked 'resync', (had opened menu to look at options) and the system became unresponsive.

Not sure where you did this exactly, as resync is usually done automatically.  Was this in RAIDar or Frontview?

Message 2 of 9
msdev
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@msdev wrote:

It looks like disk 1 is the drive that's resyncing.  That normally won't take more than 24 hours (though it's been a while since I did a resync on my own NV+). That suggests that a drive might be having trouble - but it's not necessarily the drive that is resyncing.

If you hover over disk 1 in RAIDar, you should get some progress information.  It'd be helpful to know the progress and the estimated completion time.

I hover over the disks (and everything else) in RAIDar and it all seems to show normal .. nothing resyncing.. just disk size, temp, etc.

so you are saying that the flashing light doesn't mean the drive has failed? 

(that is a bit of good news I hope)

@msdev wrote:

Not sure where you did this exactly, as resync is usually done automatically.  Was this in RAIDar or Frontview?

I was logged into the web admin .. ( http://nas-ip/admin ) under Volumes - Volume Settings

(see file)

as I mentioned .. I was logged in here, saw a message that a disk did a reset (forget the exact message) and that I should perform a resync.

I hovered over the resync volume button .. and (being pressured and distracted by too much going on at the time) I accidentally clicked it... 

thanks for replying!!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@msdev wrote:

I was logged into the web admin .. ( http://nas-ip/admin ) under Volumes - Volume Settings

(see file)

Well, the control is certainly there - just something I'd forgotten.

Your screen shot is from a Duo with two disks though - not an NV+.  Do you have a second NAS?

@msdev wrote:

so you are saying that the flashing light doesn't mean the drive has failed? 

(that is a bit of good news I hope)

The light just means the disk is being resynced.  That isn't bad news, but it is concerning that the process is taking so long.

Message 4 of 9
msdev
Aspirant

Yes i have a second NAS.. 2x 2TB mirrored.

The question I have now .. is there anything i can do other than wait?

Was looking into raid data recovery software but didn’t want to buy new drives or software yet.. or pull the drives an plug them into another computer till i know what the best options are.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@msdev wrote:

The question I have now .. is there anything i can do other than wait?

You've waited a couple of days now, correct?  At some point you'll need to give up on it.  Normally a resync will complete within a day.

You can try shutting down (pulling the plug if necessary), and then booting with only disks 2,3,4 in place.  I suggest using the boot menu to skip the volume check if you do that - you don't want the NAS to try and "repair" any file system issues at this point. 

If the NAS boots normally (showing a degraded volume, since a disk is missing), then back up all the data on the NAS.  If it fails to boot, you could try the other combinations of three disks (1,2,3; 1,2,4; 1,3,4).

Before trying to reinsert disk 1, I'd recommend testing disk 1 with vendor tools in a Windows PC (Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for Seagate) using both the long non-destructive test and the full write zeros (erase) test.  Also, download the full log zip file, and look at the smart data and also for disk-related errors in system.log and kernel.log.

Message 6 of 9
msdev
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

I’ll try the disk remove thing and see where that gets me.. hopefully booting with degraded raid..

.. then I will offload data and logs to see what happened.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@msdev wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I’ll try the disk remove thing and see where that gets me.. hopefully booting with degraded raid..

.. then I will offload data and logs to see what happened.

Let us know how it goes.  If it does boot, then you should back up the data before inserting a disk (either the original or a new one).

Message 8 of 9
msdev
Aspirant

Got some snow with the associated power failures here..

On a good note, the UPS was online and told the NAS it was on battery and the NAS shut down as expected.

Haven’t powered it on yet as have been busy with snow and stuff.

If it boots and I can access the data then of course the first thing I’ll do is backup data.

Will try later today
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements