× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V2 & Seagate 4TB ST4000VN000 HDDs

smithy50
Tutor

ReadyNAS NV+ V2 & Seagate 4TB ST4000VN000 HDDs

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ V2 installed with 2 x 2TB and 2 x 3TB HDDs from the Netgear HCL. I want to increase the capacity by replacing the 2x 2TB HDDs with 2 x 4TB HDDs.

Does anyone know if the current Seagate 4TB ST4000NV000 HDDs are compatible with the NV+ V2 NAS.

I've contacted Netgear Technical Support, but they will only advise that they are not on the HCL, which is now quite dated.

The only 4TB on the HCL is the WD40EFRX, but there are lots of negative comments on the various forums about these HDDs.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Based on posts here, I think ReadyNAS users who've used WD40EFRX have been quite happy with them.  I use WD30EFRX and WD60EFRX, and have had a good experience.

I've seen ReadyNAS users posting good experiences with the ST4000VN000 also, though I don't recall any v2 users specifically.

Message 2 of 10
smithy50
Tutor

StephenB

Thanks StephenB for the quick response. I could not find any post that combined the ST4000VN000 and the NV+ V2 either.

It would be good if someone, who has tried the combination, could add to the thread.

Thanks Again

Message 3 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Is your NAS still under warranty?  If it is not then there is less concern about sticking to the HCL, it is dated as you can see.  WD Red drives and the Seagate NAS drives are widely used on many Readynas models and it is exceedingly unlikely that you will have a problem.  Of course no disks are perfect and you should always maintain backups.

Message 4 of 10
smithy50
Tutor

Hi Vandermerwe,

Good point. I have two ReadyNAS NV+ V2 devices: one bought in July 2012 and the other in October 2012. Assuming they had a one year warranty, they are both out of warranty.

I use one as my main data respository, which is backed up to the second. I would be reluctant to install the Seagate NAS drives into my main NAS, without confidence that they are compatible.

I may consider using external USB HDDs as a temporary back up to the main NAS and do a rebuild of the second NAS with the Seagate NAS drives.

My reluctance to use the WD40EFRX drives is because of their reported Load Cycle Count issue. It's not clear to me if this is still an issue on new WD40EFRX drives.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

The warranty is 3 years so one is just still under warranty.

I gather the LCC issue has been rectified, and there is a WD tool to adjust the relevant parameter if necessary.

These drives are currently the best choices for readynas units.  They are reliable and cost effective.  Obviously if you have a lot of money you can get enterprise disks but they are much more expensive.  

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@smithy50 wrote:

My reluctance to use the WD40EFRX drives is because of their reported Load Cycle Count issue. It's not clear to me if this is still an issue on new WD40EFRX drives.

It's not, and if you end up with one of the few units where it was a problem you can fix it (as noted above).

Message 7 of 10
smithy50
Tutor

StephenB & Vandermerwe,

Thank you both for your positive responses. My only reluctance to using the WD40EFRX drives was the LCC issue, so if that's resolved on the current new drives then these would be my preferred upgrade route.

I've read somewhere that any volume capacity increase is limited to a percentage of the current volume capacity. My main ReadyNAS NV+ V2 (running 5.3.11) has 2 x 2TB WD20EARX drives and 2 x 3TB ST3000DM001 drives installed and configured as X-RAID2. My intention was to upgrade the two existing 2TB WD20EARX drives with two new 4TB drives (most probably now WD40EFRX drives). Does that scenario fall within any volume capacity increase limit?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

http://ram.kossboss.com/xraid/

Above is is a good raid volume size calculator.

The incremental expansion limit is 8tb from the volume size at last factory default.  For example if you set up your nas with a 2 TB volume you would be be able to expand to 10 TB before hitting the limit.  Overcoming the limit requires a factory default.

The limit exists on 4.2.x and 5.3.x, not on OS6.

In your case you need to know why your sorting volume size was, then use the calculator to see what you projected volume size will be, and whether it exceeds the sorting volume by more than 8 TB.  I think unless your sorting volume was under 1.5 TB then you will be OK.  Use the calculator for a more precise calculation though.

There is a 16 TB total volume size limit on volumes on the same OSs.  A factory default with this size volume in place overcomes this limit too, as long as the volume can be set up in one phase.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you started with 2x2TB, then 2x4+2x3 would give you an 10 TB volume (~9 TiB).  8 TB of growth (7.4 TiB)

So that should work (the growth limit is 8 TiB, not 8 TB).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements