× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV V2 wont power on (ReadyNASRND4000v2)

AncientOne
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV V2 wont power on (ReadyNASRND4000v2)

Hey all --

My problem is similar to the one in this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Legacy-NETGEAR-and-Partners-Add/ReadyNAS-NV-V2-wont-power-on-ReadyN...

My chassis contains 2 3TB WD Red disks, using XRAID.

Nothing happens when I try to turn it on. The button LED blinks, the LCD display blinks for about 1/2 a second, then nothing. I noticed however that the LEDs on the NIC seem to be working.

This issue just cropped up during a snowstorm that was taking out power in nearby neighborhoods, and causing slight outages at our place. (Of course, it was hooked up to a UPS.)

This unit is probably out of warranty, since we've had it for at least 5 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my options seem to be, in order:

1. Testing the external brick, and replacing it if necessary
  2. Replacing the internal power supply if #1 is not the issue
  3. Trying a second chassis if #2 fails to solve the problem
  4. Opting for data recovery if #3 fails 

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS NV V2 wont power on (ReadyNASRND4000v2)

If you test the brick, do so under load.  There is no internal supply you can replace.

Message 2 of 10
AncientOne
Aspirant

Ok, sounds like I need to order a replacement, since I don't know anyone nearby with a multimeter.

Any vendor recommendations out there?

Message 3 of 10
AncientOne
Aspirant

No luck with the new power supply!

After about half a second, the lights on the display turn off. Neither the fan nor the drives get a chance to spin up. Just like before.

So, what now? The only alternatives I can think of are:

1. Buy or borrow another chassis, and try adding the drives in the identical bays.

2. Data recovery via a Linux box with SATA bays.

3. Or via USB and external SATA enclosures. (??)

Folks, I need some advice here. What would be the best way to recover my data?

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you are planning to buy an OS-6 readynas, support can also help you mount the data volume from your existing disks.  This would let you offload the data.  There is a charge for this.  Details are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

wrote:

1. Buy or borrow another chassis, and try adding the drives in the identical bays.

2. Data recovery via a Linux box with SATA bays.

3. Or via USB and external SATA enclosures. (??)

All of these can work, although any NAS you purchase would be 5-7 years old.

Of course a Windows PC can be booted up under linux, using a live linux boot disk.

ReclaiMe in a Windows PC is another option.  

Message 5 of 10
AncientOne
Aspirant

I just looked at the charges for support and....ouch.

Okay, I have at least one (not too) old Windows laptop lying around. 

What about

1.SATA/USB enclosures for the drives and ReclaiMe?

2. Same with Linux Live CD or USB? (Where are the instructions for this approach?)

I apologize for the many questions. It’s been a while since I performed this kind of work. 

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Such a chassis would be second-hand and may be in questionable condition. NETGEAR support won't help if you're not the original purchase from an authorised reseller.
  2. That's certainly an option.
  3. And that

Another option would be to get a new ReadyNAS and follow the procedure here: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.1 or RAIDiator 5.3 to ReadyNAS OS 6

Message 7 of 10
AncientOne
Aspirant

Hmm. Thanks but no thanks: Finding this chassis from a reseller is impossible at this point, and even if I did find one, the cost of the chassis and the support contract are steep.

I’d like to try the Window/ReclaiMe or Linux routes instead. Can someone point me to the Linux instructions?

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you only have two drives, a DuoV2 will also work.  I see them on eBay all the time.  Just be careful to check that is is a real V2.  Just as folks are confused here by Netgear's dual use of "V2", so they are there.  A picture of the rear showing the larger fan or the front sayng "V2", or a listed part number of RND2000-200 would be ways to check.  The ones there right now are rather over priced, however. 

At $199, ReclaiMe is best left to cases of a corrupt file system.

R-Linux for Windows is your best option.  Do make sure that your (not too) old Windows PC is capable of reading >2TB drives or get a SATA to USB adapter that is.  If your NAS was using RAID-1, you'll only need one of the two drives for the recovery.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it's a v2 the process on Linux would be the same as for a legacy x86 ReadyNAS.

First you should check the health of the disks and the state of the RAID. If that all looks fine then you could do e.g.

# mdadm --assemble --scan
# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# mount -o ro -t ext4 /dev/c/c /mnt
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements