× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ Won't Boot Normally

wolfy659
Tutor

ReadyNAS NV+ Won't Boot Normally

I've owned this ReadyNAS since 2009. RAM is upgraded to 1GB; power supply failed (2014?) just barely in warranty, support sent new unit and I replaced. Unit's been chugging along since then.

Recently, I've noticed that the unit won't boot normally. Specifically, I have to skip the boot volume check to get the system to come up. Initially, even that wasn't working. Ran the memory test and it indicated the RAM had failed. Replaced and rebooted; it booted normally the first time. Then wouldn't boot until skipping the volume check. Tried firmware reset and OS reinstall; problem persists. Also noted the AFP service won't start, even after turning off/on in Frontview (4.1.16).

Health check of the disks doesn't seem to indicate an issue (drives are about 5 years old. Running 4x2TB with a mix of Seagate and WD Red Drives).

SSH installed, also running a few other packages (Nas monitor v3.2 and PHP v1.1). DLNA is running but I don't use it.

I've read that log file growth can cause similar behavior, but I can't figure out if that's the case here:

Results of df runs on the OS partition:

ReadyNAS:/var/log# df . -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             1.9G  575M  1.3G  29% /
ReadyNAS:/var/log# df . -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             128000   15127  112873   12% /

Submitting logs to the moderator address for T/S assistance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Won't Boot Normally

Your OS partition isn't full, so that's not an issue.

The NV+ is fussy about memory, so you might want to run the memory test on the new RAM for a while.  You could also see if the problem still happens with the stock RAM (if you still have it).

You could try running fsck from ssh, and see if that also hangs up.

There could be some filesystem damage as a side-effect of the failed RAM.  One option is do a factory reset, set up the NAS again, and restore the files from backup.

Message 2 of 4
wolfy659
Tutor

OK so apparently I was a little dumb. I was trying to flash the software from the installation file and not the USB image. I found one for 4.1.13 and it worked. Trying to update back to 4.1.16 caused it to hang again. I had taken out all but one disk (that I had re-formatted) and when attempting to update the sofware, it flashed to "Vol C: is dead " message prior to rebooting for the update. It then hung on the reboot at the Booting... message.

I have a backup and am reformatting all the drives to rebuild the array from scratch. Curious why it won't update back to 4.1.16 at this point.

Not a memory issue; have run the test multiple times to completion with no failures.

Message 3 of 4
wolfy659
Tutor

Not the RAM, not the disks. Looks like the flash has too many bad blocks. I was able to downgrade to 4.1.8 successfully.

Anyone have any experience desoldering and replacing the flash chip on the MB? Are the leads through board or surface mount? Can I go with a bigger chip to minimize this in the future?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements