× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+: how to remove not exists volume and disks (disk failed)

Dane2000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+: how to remove not exists volume and disks (disk failed)

Hello all!

My Dad asks me for help, but I don't know what was happened and what what should I do.
He has a ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 disks without RAID (standalone disks). One of them has dead. I'd took it for data recovery. During this time, ReadyNAS has lost one of the volumes (the disk is healthy, the system partitions - exists, but NAS thinks that disk is empty and suggests to create a new volume).
When I'd tried to replace dead one with a new disk, NAS saw it (led was on, noted in log), but there was no tab for adding a new volume. On system page there were two lines about old disks, that already removed from bays, with marks that they are failed.

So, what i've got:
- a new disk to replace dead one;
- a disk with partition and data that NAS wants to reformat (I'd recovered the data to another location);

Problem:

- delete non-existent disks/volumes from system settings and add new ones?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+: how to remove not exists volume and disks (disk failed)

One option is to upgrade the NAS to the final firmware (4.1.16) if it isn't running that already, and then do a factory default procedure to rebuild the NAS from scratch.  Off-load all the data first of course.

If you stick with flexraid, you'd need to install RAIDar 4.3.8 on PC to get the NAS into that mode.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads  Also with flexraid and independent volumes, I recommend doing the factory default with only one disk in place, and adding the remaining disks later.  That insures that you don't accidentally end up with RAID-1 or RAID-5.

If you plan on upgrading disks, you need to stick with drives that are no larger than 2 TB.  NAS-purposed disks (Seagate Ironwolf or WDC Red) are good options.  Don't bother with the HCL, it hasn't been updated for several years.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

How many volumes is the system showing?  If there is one for the dead (and removed) disk, have you tried deleting it?

@Dane2000 wrote:

So, what i've got:
- a disk with partition and data that NAS wants to reformat (I'd recovered the data to another location);

This one's odd for an NV+.  You are saying this disk is healthy and was a working NAS volume? 

Did you remove it, and try to reinsert it?

Is the NAS seeing the shares?

Message 2 of 8
Dane2000
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I'd tried to reinsert this HDD. NAS seeing it as a blank disk. The only one variant - to create a new volume.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Dane2000 wrote:

Yes, I'd tried to reinsert this HDD. NAS seeing it as a blank disk. The only one variant - to create a new volume.

Yes, the NAS is designed to treat insertions as a new disks.

You could try removing the disk, powering down, and then insert the disk (while powered down), and then reboot.

If that fails, I think you'll need to extract the data (I think R-linux for Windows will work) .  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ You'd connect the disk to a Windows PC with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  After you've offloaded the data, you'd create a fresh volume, recreate the shares, and restore data.

Message 4 of 8
Dane2000
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea. I'd already recovered data using UFS Explorer. So this is not a big problem. More nerves: that NAS, shows lines with 2 old already removed disks and does not suggest adding a new volume to a new disk (when replacing a dead one). There is no way to remove non-existent volumes from the system settings.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

One option is to upgrade the NAS to the final firmware (4.1.16) if it isn't running that already, and then do a factory default procedure to rebuild the NAS from scratch.  Off-load all the data first of course.

If you stick with flexraid, you'd need to install RAIDar 4.3.8 on PC to get the NAS into that mode.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads  Also with flexraid and independent volumes, I recommend doing the factory default with only one disk in place, and adding the remaining disks later.  That insures that you don't accidentally end up with RAID-1 or RAID-5.

If you plan on upgrading disks, you need to stick with drives that are no larger than 2 TB.  NAS-purposed disks (Seagate Ironwolf or WDC Red) are good options.  Don't bother with the HCL, it hasn't been updated for several years.

Message 6 of 8
Dane2000
Aspirant

Hello. Sorry for the long pause. Are there any options not to reset to factory defaults? There are two more disks (healthy), that contains data.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Your NAS uses a dedicated parity disk - normally disk 4.  The parity data on that disk can be used to recover data, but only if two of the remaining disks are ok.

But that only applies if the volume is in sync.  If there were lost writes, then you'd have an out-of-sync volume, and likely will see some data loss.  

You could potentially contract Netgear to get back the data - though that is expensive, and results are not guaranteed.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

You can also use RAID recovery software on your own.

Either way, once you have the data you should do a factory default.  That will give you a clean file system.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements