× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ no longer staying connected... Catalina?

factotvm
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ no longer staying connected... Catalina?

I have recently upgraded to macOS Catalina, and since about then I am unable to use Time Machine on my ReadyNAS NV+. It begins the process, but will eventually lose connection with the error: "The backup disk is not available. Make sure the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk."

Additionally, I am no longer able to consistently connect to the drive via Finder in order to access the files.

One bit of information that makes me think that this is a coincidence with the Catalina upgrade is that I am also unable to connect easily to the web-based aministration tool. It does connect sometimes, but not consistently. This does seem to correspond to when I can start the Time Machine backup.

So either the ReadyNAS NV+ networking is on the fritz (and it doesn't stay active), or something in Catalina is not playing nice.

Has anyone had success with an upgrade to Catalina? Can anyone help diagnose the issue? I know it's old hardware, but it has been a consistent work horse for so long that I don't think much about it.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+, RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ no longer staying connected... Catalina?

@factotvm wrote:

One bit of information that makes me think that this is a coincidence with the Catalina upgrade is that I am also unable to connect easily to the web-based aministration tool. It does connect sometimes, but not consistently.

Maybe try downloading the log zip file, and look there for errors.  I also suggest looking at the disk health (either via disk_smart.log or look at the SMART stats in the web ui).

Message 2 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@factotvm

Welcome to the Community!

I'm not really sure if this might be the caused of it. https://www.macworld.com/article/3445481/can-t-find-your-time-machine-backup-after-upgrading-to-cata...

It says there that upgrading to Catalina causes the .sparsebundle extension change to .backupbundle. If you can try accessing your TimeMachine backup and see if it did changed then changing it back to sparsebundle extension might get it detected. You can follow the guide on locating the backup here.

Or restricting Time Machine to use SMB might be another cause? Hopefully we can get more information on this. Please send in the logs so we can check if there's any issue as well with the NAS regarding access to it.

Regards

Message 3 of 6
factotvm
Aspirant

The SMART stats appear to be alright. There are a good deal many errors in the log. The most troubling I see is 

kernel: After TLER: status = 0x50, error=0xd600

And

kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

Message 4 of 6
factotvm
Aspirant

The backup starts... it just doesn't complete. I do see the .backupbundle has been created and touched.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@factotvm wrote:

The SMART stats appear to be alright. There are a good deal many errors in the log. The most troubling I see is 

kernel: After TLER: status = 0x50, error=0xd600

And

kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

I suggest testing the disks with vendor tools in a PC.  Use Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements