× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ not powering on

koawmfot
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ not powering on

Hi

I have the device in the subject, NV+ from 2007.  Yesterday i powered it down to move it to a different location and now it will not power back on.  The power supply was replaced once before (via the defect serial number range) and i was registered with this community and now it appears my registration information was all cleared.  There is no serial number on the back of the device.

i cannot get to support options.  When i select "No Serial" and then add the device details and purchase date and problem, it tells me the serial number has been blacklisted and  i can't get any further.  The device gets backed up but not for a short while now so i need the data off it.  (i've not had a steady living situation for a few months due to work at my primary residence...).  I need this to boot and work ASAP.  It host files which allow me to connect to my job, and i am working from my temporary home and now i cannot work.

i also would have no problem upgrading once the device is back online.  

I will try the CMOS battery reset but wanted to reach out to see how i can get support when i cannot get through the support registration page.  I tried the direct support phone number but it says i need to go online.  i am going crazy being run in circles trying to get someone to help.

thanks

dg

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ not powering on

Message 2 of 6
koawmfot
Aspirant

any suggestions on a new readynas model?  i'm not familiar with the newer ones and don't know if OS 6 is the latest either.  i know i can look but won't have the time until later and want to get on this asap.

any suggestions on getting the NV+ to boot?  battery reset possible on this model?  swap the power supply to a working one?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I don't think you need to replace the battery (which isn't that easy) - it's purpose is to keep the clock running when the unit is powered off.  But of course you do need a working PSU.

On new models, OS 6 is the newest ReadyNAS OS.  All of the new OS 6 NAS are faster than your NV+.  I'd suggest either an RN314 (entry level intel x86 model) or perhaps an RN214 (top model of the arm processor line).

The x86 ReadyNAS have some features that are missing from the arm units, and at the moment the RN314 is only about $60 more than the RN214 (Amazon US).

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have another power supply, then swapping it would be one thing to try.  But without more information, it's hard to suggest ou go out and buy a new supply and just hope.  Using an ATA connector extender with a couple of wires swapped will allow you to connect a standard ATA supply externally and see if that will fix it.  The pin-out for the connector can be found by searching the forum.

Message 5 of 6
koawmfot
Aspirant

i swapped the supply and its now booting.  i'll get my data off when i get a chance later to pick up the backup drive.  but i need to use it until i get a new one.  since the old one still works, i'm going to put it at a relative's house and rsync a backup to it.  thanks for the help and suggestions.  this is the second PSU, i'd added ram at one point, and changed the fan.  and once i had a catastophic drive failure when it was only a two disk xraid, but with some clever setting up and i was able to rebuild the array.  the biggest problem is that the issues occur so far between, that its ahrd to remember what I did the last time.  i need less hands on management...

thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements