× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ stuck "Booting..."

a904044
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ stuck "Booting..."

Yesterday my ReadyNAS powered itself off. After a power up I see with Raidar that it completes the file system check, but then never becomes operational. It disappears from Raidar and the LCD display just shows "Booting..." I have read the NV+ manual concerning going into the Boot menu, but I'm concerned that operations like Factory Reset will wipe my RAID array. I would appreciate some advice as to how I might attempt to recover the situation whilst still keeping the integrity of my data.

Thanks

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The system wouldn't boot due to a failed attempt to download the logs (there were some very large log files). The problem is now fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You might have a bad disk.

You could power off the NAS, remove your disks (label order) and hook them up to your PC and test them using vendor tools e.g. use SeaTools to test SeaGate disks.

Message 2 of 12
a904044
Aspirant

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if the disk test on the boot menu will indicate if I have a failing disk ?

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disk test boot menu option is not available on the v1. It is available on the v2.

Looking at your profile you have a v1: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Message 4 of 12
a904044
Aspirant

OK, thanks. I'll check the menu when I get home anyway.

Message 5 of 12
a904044
Aspirant

Yes you were correct, there was no disk test option. I did run the memory test which passed. I've now removed the hard drive and used the WD diagnostic from a PC. So far I've run the Quick Test on all 4 drives and none showed errors. I'm now starting to run the extended test to check them more thoroughly. If these pass, I guess I'm looking at either firmware or hardware issues. I would appreciate some advice here ?

Is the OS reinstall mentioned in the boot menu non-destructive in terms of my drive data ? If not should is the only course now to replace the NV+ ? On that score what is the obvious replacement for that which will take my 4 drives and just work.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS is stored on the disks so if you move the disks across to another Sparc NAS (i.e. NV+ v1) then the problem may remain.

You may wish to run the memory test boot menu option a few time to check the memory (RAM).

It's possible the system failed to boot e.g. due to a full OS partition or some problem with the volume neither of which would be fixed by an OS Re-install. It would be best to have a better idea of what the problem is before trying an OS Re-install as when used inappropriately an OS Re-install can make problems worse.

Message 7 of 12
a904044
Aspirant

OK, thanks. So apart from running the memory test some more, is there anything else I can do to diagnose the problem ? Is there any way, for instance to get at logs or diagnostic information on the NAS that can tell me what's going on ?

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sent you a PM

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The system wouldn't boot due to a failed attempt to download the logs (there were some very large log files). The problem is now fixed.

Message 10 of 12
mey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem. My NV+ has been "booting.." for about 2 weeks. The initial error came after a power outage and has not finished booting since. Raidar will not locate the device in this "booting..." state. 

How were you able to access the large log files and fix the problem. This solution is missing from the string. Thank you for your help.

Model: ReadyNASRND4210|ReadyNAS NV+ 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 11 of 12
a904044
Aspirant

My problem was fixed by mdgm remotely accessing my readynas 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements