× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ unusably slow frontview

chappers
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ unusably slow frontview

Hope someone can help

I use an NV+ in our server rack for daily onsite backup.
I tried to do some config on it in the last couple of days and frontview is ridiculous, taking up to half an hour to change page. Took 2 days to achieve a simple task.

Last time I did any config was around 6 months ago and the interface was running fine, haven't looked at it since then.

Info:
Ive got 4 * 1TB disks in it.
I was running at near 100% capacity but I've deleted over 500GB and that hasn't improved it

Have upgraded to Raidiator 4.1.7, no effect.
Have tried various browsers and several PCs, mostly win7 and 1 xp, no effect.
Tried changing MTU to 1492, no effect.
Tried waiting overnight in case it was busy, no effect.
Have managed to access the logs after waiting a very long time, nothing obvious, does not appear to be in the middle of a RAID sync or anything else.

Have spent several hours reading other forum posts, several of which looked promising, but to no avail.

Can anyone help

Chappers
Message 1 of 5
chappers
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ unusably slow frontview

Finally fixed my own problem after hours and hours of pain:

Invalid DNS server address!

You'd think it wouldn't take long to spot this but when each Frontview page load takes 30 minutes it takes a long time to spot anything.
Message 2 of 5
chewitt
Aspirant

Hello chappers, I am having the same problem that you have detailed...30 minutes per page load in Frontview.

This may seem like an overly elementary question, but how did you fix the 'invalid DNS server address' problem? Is there a set of steps that I can follow to resolve the issue? I tried searching the forum for those keywords but didn't find anything instructive.

Thank you.
Message 3 of 5
chappers
Aspirant

Hi Chewitt

I'm on a terrible connection away from home and can't access docs so can't give exact page details.

The DNS server setting is on a page which I think is called "Global Settings" in Frontview. I recommend looking through the manual to find the page you need so you don't have to spend hours waiting for Frontview to load.

It seems the ReadyNas needs this address to be valid or its performance is crippled.

DNS is the Domain Name Service which resolves Domain names to IP addresses. The entry for DNS server should be an IP address.

Exactly what should be in there depends on the network you are using.
If you are using DHCP and have not given the Readynas a static IP address then your DHCP server should have given it a valid DNS address and this probably isn't your issue.

If you are on a Domain / large network then the DNS server is probably your DC or your network administrator can tell you what it is.

If you're on a home network then your DNS server address should probably be your router address.
If you don't know the answer to any of these then you could just use 8.8.8.8 which is a public DNS server run by Google.

Put the correct address into the DNS server field, apply the setting and restart the ReadyNas. Hopefully performance will be restored.

Hope that helps

Chappers
Message 4 of 5
nodoze
Aspirant

My nv+ front page was very slow (not 30 mins) and intermittenly was not responding causing me to reload the page and start over. I sshed in and saw the loa was very high due in large part to squeezebox and a bunch of other services that were running. After stopping all but the services that I really use things were better. In the end I am going to stop all services on the nv+ except the minimal needed to back my new ultra6 up to the nv+.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements