× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 BIOS INFO: Cipher Error

tominwi
Luminary

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 BIOS INFO: Cipher Error

Found my NV+ displaying the lighted BIOS INFO: Cipher Error on its LCD, with Power and Disk 4 LEDs extinguished, and Disks 1, 2, and 3 lit green. No Act LED. As the unit seemed unresponsive, indeed a 5sec Power press did not shut it off. I pulled the plug on it.

On reboot the unit came up it seems normally, at least it took no longer than usual AFAICT.

The Status>Logs display did not show that it came-on this a.m. at 05:25 as normally (I run this 525-825a and send backups to it) but I assume that it powered-on and then crashed. The log shows yesterday's power-off ("System power-on scheduled for 12/18/2019 05:25") but then next is only "System is up" after I pulled and re-plugged.

I find nothing here at all about a Cipher Error, and now that the system's back up the dead LED Disk4's SMART shows normal/fine/good/noproblems at all, including that it has no reallocated sectors.

Any ideas for me as to what happened? Where should I look among the complete "Download All Logs" files for clues? Should I reboot and put the unit through any tests?

TIA for any replies!!!

--Tom

Message 1 of 3
aks-2
Apprentice

Hi Tom, this isn't much help but a few more details might help others (I've not seen this error either). So, did this error occur as it was booting, or had it been running then failed?

Obviously it's a very old unit and has presumably been working fine for ages?

edit: might also be worth running a drive scan at boot.

Message 2 of 3
tominwi
Luminary

Thanks Tony for your reply. Yeah I've had the NV+ nine years now, though I've only run it 3 hrs/day so the equivalent life to a 24/7 NAS is less than a year.

Smiley Happy

I'm not sure how the "wake from soft off" compares to cold boot, but that's apparently where it failed yesterday. Today it came-up as normal at 525a, accepted all incoming backups to it, and slept again as it should. So I will just for now anyway treat the issue as a one-off and try not to worry about it, though I will indeed do a drive check when I get a chance.

Thanks again; of course I surfed on Cipher Error and it seems I might be the only person on Earth to have encountered this one!?!?!?!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements