× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 (sparc) Can't access frontview anymore after OS reinstall + USB boot.

Funkback
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 (sparc) Can't access frontview anymore after OS reinstall + USB boot.

Password recovery says e-mail sent, but I haven't recieved any. The default. netgear1 pw doesn't work. Does it make any difference if I make a factory default? There is some issue with disk 4 (flashing) and Yellow dot in Raidar (needs attention). I think I will have to access frontwiew in order to diagnose/fix this properly. Right? I I do factory default w, a faulty disk I will more than likely just ruin it's current functionality. Suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 (sparc) Can't access frontview anymore after OS reinstall + USB boot.

If you do a factory default, you will of course lose all your data.

If you have a scratch disk, maybe try powering down, removing the current disks (labeling them by slot), and doing the factory default with only the scratch in place.

If that works, it rules out chassis failure (including the possibility of flash corruption).  

If you have no backup, you could also try per-incident support with Netgear.  There is at least one possibility (full OS partition) that would explain the symptoms you are reporting - which is something they should be able to fix remotely.  

Message 2 of 4
Funkback
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 (sparc) Can't access frontview anymore after OS reinstall + USB boot.

A "scratch disc", would that be one that is formatted by the NAS but is no longer used? Does it matter if it has been replaced because it's deteriorating? Do I have to buy a blank/unused disc for this?

The Chassi has been replaced by Netgear, and they've helped me replace the power unit, so perhaps that's not the issue here.

If it's an OS partition thats full. Is there anything I can do myself to help that.

How Do I create a per-incident support with Netgear for a unit that has reached "end of life"?

Is multiple "kernel panic" alarms indicate flash corruption or full OS partition?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Funkback wrote:

A "scratch disc", would that be one that is formatted by the NAS but is no longer used? Does it matter if it has been replaced because it's deteriorating? Do I have to buy a blank/unused disc for this?

Any reasonable disk you have that you are willing to have reformatted.  It'd be best if it is a working disk.

@Funkback wrote:

If it's an OS partition thats full. Is there anything I can do myself to help that.

If you are knowledgable and comfortable with the linux command line interface, then yes. If you've never used linux commands before (or are unsure of your skills) you're much better off paying support.

@Funkback wrote:

How Do I create a per-incident support with Netgear for a unit that has reached "end of life"?

Is multiple "kernel panic" alarms indicate flash corruption or full OS partition?

Go to support.netgear.com, and ask them about per-incident support.

I think kernel panic alarms can have a variety of causes.  I don't know which is most likely.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements