× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 startet nicht/wird warm/schaltet ab

VolkerLabenski
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 startet nicht/wird warm/schaltet ab

Hallo,

ich habe den RND4000 vor gut 1,5 Jahren gebraucht gekauft und betreibe das System mit 4 Platten dieser Art

Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 7200 1 TB .

Bis vor ca. 2 Monaten habe ich das System durchgängig benutzt. Dann hat sich das System immer wieder ausgeschaltet. In den Protokollen habe ich gesehen, dass eine Festplatte immer wieder Fehler anzeigt und folglich habe ich diese kürzlich ersetzt.

Wie auch vor dem Plattenwechsel lässt sich das System nur starten wenn es komplett vom Netz genommen wird. Dann läuft es 1-2 Stunden und schaltet dann wieder von alleine ab. Es ist  ein auffälliger Geruch vernehmbar und das Gerät ist nach dem Abschalten sehr warm. Ich nutze es aktuell nicht, habe es in den vergangenen Tagen aber gestartet, weil ich Angst um meine Daten habe und  angefangen habe die gespeicherten Daten   von den Platten zu nehmen.

Da das aber nicht funktioniert (Gerät schaltet ab), habe ich die Hoffnung, dass mir hier jemand weiter helfen kann wie ich das System wieder richtig in Betrieb nehmen kann.

Vielen Dank!

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 startet nicht/wird warm/schaltet ab

I think something is very wrong.  It might be the power supply (or perhaps a failed fan).  Those can be replaced, but the other parts cannot be.

Have you tried downloading the log zip file when the unit is running?

If you power it up without the disks, do you also observe the warm temperature and the smell?  (Label the disks by slot number when you remove them, and make sure you remove/replace them with the NAS off). 

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

That it will only start when disconnected from the network smells (no pun intended) like a power supply issue.  The NIC and power-on circuit both are powered by a small section of the power supply that produces +5VSB (5 volt standby) power.  That power is always on if the NAS is plugged in, so you should probably be unplugging the unit as well as keeping it off.  Because it is always on, failure of the +5VSB is common in older units (and computers, too).

If you have access to a "spare" standard computer ATX supply, an adapter can be made to connect it in place of the internal NAS supply and see if that fixes it.  It's cheaper than buyng a supply and then finding out that wasn't the problem.  Then, you can either use that external supply to power the NAS while you move your data off to a new NAS (IMHO, your best option), or you can get a replacement supply (though not from Netgear).  Buying a replacement used NAS is another option, but you might just be buying somebody else's problem.

Message 3 of 10
VolkerLabenski
Aspirant

Hello,

yes the smell is the same and I activated the system again to download the file. Should I just upload it here?

Regards

Message 4 of 10
VolkerLabenski
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately I have no power supply to try your first suggestion and honestly without a good description of each step it would be hard for me to build that.

One question to your last (and worst) solution. Does it mean I can replace my RND unit with a model of the same type? The most important thing is than when I use another RND that my system stays intact (meaning Disk 1 stays 1, disk2 stays 2 and so on)? So I can put my disks in another RND unit and won't lose any of my  data?

Thank you!

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@VolkerLabenski wrote:

Should I just upload it here?

It's best not too, as there is privacy leakage.

You can browse it yourself, or you can ask one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S  or @Marc_V  ) to analyze.  @Hopchen is a former Netgear employee, and he also is often willing to analyze logs.

@VolkerLabenski wrote:

Does it mean I can replace my RND unit with a model of the same type?

Yes - that would be another NV+ v1 unit.  The ReadyNAS 1100 would also work.  Be careful not to get an NV+ v2 or an NVX - they are not compatible.

Message 6 of 10
VolkerLabenski
Aspirant

Finally I bought a used NV+1 v1 unit, which seems to work right now. Not so easy to find one...

My question is now how to set up the system with my existing hard drives. Should I put in my disks in the current order with the system shut down?  So while booting the system starts the way like the old unit with all my data intact?

Thank you again for your support!

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@VolkerLabenski wrote:

Finally I bought a used NV+1 v1 unit, which seems to work right now. Not so easy to find one...

My question is now how to set up the system with my existing hard drives.

The first step is to install the right firmware in the replacement NAS.  Either match the firmware to what was installed on the old one, or install the current firmware (4.1.16).  To do that you need to do a factory install with a scratch disk (not in the array).  That disk will be formatted, so anything on it will be lost.

Then shut the NAS down, and install the disks from the old NAS (in their original slots).  Power up the NAS.  All settings are on the disks, so it will look like the original.

Message 8 of 10
VolkerLabenski
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@VolkerLabenski wrote:

My question is now how to set up the system with my existing hard drives.

To do that you need to do a factory install with a scratch disk (not in the array).  That disk will be formatted, so anything on it will be lost.

Thank you for your quick answer. Maybe it is the language barrier but I did not get your sentence I quoted above. It means to start the system with other disks than mine and install the latest system  software? Or what does scratch disk (not in the array) mean?

Thank you in advance!

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@VolkerLabenski wrote:

Thank you for your quick answer. Maybe it is the language barrier but I did not get your sentence I quoted above. It means to start the system with other disks than mine and install the latest system  software?

Yes - you use a different disk (one is enough).  The NAS will format it, and you will lose the data on it.

After you've done a quick setup, you update the firmware.

Then power down, and put your disks back in their original slots.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements