× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 does not synchronize after replacing 2 disks

Heller
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 does not synchronize after replacing 2 disks

Hello,

our Nas recently broke down and two HDDs crashed at the same time. 

We then replace them with the same Model and inserted them.

Now we can access the admin backend again. Though there is no automatic synchronisation.

So no access to the data.

We do get some errors though (all green)

***** File system check performed at Mon May  9 16:11:27 PDT 2016 ***** fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2

fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/c/c Possibly non-existent device?

and 

The paths for the shares listed below could not be found.  Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.

media

backup

[Mon May  9 16:12:11 PDT 2016]

Is that normal when two disk get replaced ?

And is there a way to start synchronizing manually?

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Heller wrote:

Uh i didnt knew that. 

Though its a XRAID 2 System.

In the manual it says that two disks can fail.

If you had selected RAID-6 (or xraid dual redundancy) then it can recover from two disk failures.  But those are not the defaults,

XRAID2 was just an improved XRAID-  the name doesn't mean it can handle two disk failures.

@Heller wrote:

I saw it here: X-RAID2 requires a minimum of two hard disks to provide protection against disk failure. 

You unfortunately misunderstood that sentence.  It says you need at least two disks to have some protection.  It does not say that you will have protection from two simultaneous disk failures.

@Heller wrote:

If we would somehow recover at least one disk and copy it on a fresh one, would it then work?

One option is to try to clone the two failing disks.

But the more things you try on your own, the bigger the risk of creating more damage,  If you want to work on this yourself, then the safest thing is to clone all four drives before experimenting.

There's a dedicated team of data recovery experts at Netgear support, so if the data is precious enough to justify the cost, it would be best to use them.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Heller wrote:

Hello,

our Nas recently broke down and two HDDs crashed at the same time. 

We then replace them with the same Model and inserted them.

Normal XRAID only has single-redundancy protection, so you will lose your data when two drives fail.

You could try contacting Netgear support and ask about data recovery.  It is both expensive and uncertain.

Message 2 of 8
Heller
Aspirant

Uh i didnt knew that. 

If we would somehow recover at least one disk and copy it on a fresh one, would it then work?

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"X-RAID2" is the name of the feature (to compare with "X-RAID" on old Sparc units).

Unless you have more than 6 HDDs, your X-RAID2 volume will be running a RAID5 (or RAID1 if two HDDs). So only one HDD redundancy.

Where did you see on the manual that it says two HDD redundancy?

Message 4 of 8
Heller
Aspirant

I saw it here: X-RAID2 requires a minimum of two hard disks to provide protection against disk failure. 

https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/WP_XRAID2vsFlexRAID%20_12May14.pdf

second page.

Message 5 of 8
Heller
Aspirant

I have a 4 disk nas btw.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Heller wrote:

Uh i didnt knew that. 

If you had selected RAID-6 (or xraid dual redundancy) then it can recover from two disk failures.  But those are not the defaults,

XRAID2 was just an improved XRAID-  the name doesn't mean it can handle two disk failures.

@Heller wrote:

I saw it here: X-RAID2 requires a minimum of two hard disks to provide protection against disk failure. 

You unfortunately misunderstood that sentence.  It says you need at least two disks to have some protection.  It does not say that you will have protection from two simultaneous disk failures.

@Heller wrote:

One option is to try to clone the two failing disks.

But the more things you try on your own, the bigger the risk of creating more damage,  If you want to work on this yourself, then the safest thing is to clone all four drives before experimenting.

There's a dedicated team of data recovery experts at Netgear support, so if the data is precious enough to justify the cost, it would be best to use them.

Message 7 of 8
Heller
Aspirant

Oh ok i see. I really misunderstood it.

Thanks for your help guys!

I will contact a proffessional.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo