× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ won't boot after upgrade, LED 1 and 3 lit

bungy22
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ won't boot after upgrade, LED 1 and 3 lit

My ReaydNAS NV+ automatically downloaded the latest firmware, and when I logged in it asked me to reboot to complete the upgrade. I assume it had downloaded 4.1.13, but the logs didn't actually state which version was downloaded.

I proceeded to reboot via the web interface. However, it remained in a "booting" state (showed "booting" on LCD and power LED was flashing) for 45 min to an hour.

At that point I tried to power cycle the unit. Now, it powers on, the power LED flashes for about 5 seconds and then LED 1 and 3 come on and the power LED remains unlit. There is nothing on the LCD display. I have tried holding down the power button to enter other boot modes, but it just goes to the same state.

How can I get it back to an operational state?
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have the stock 256 MB RAM module installed or a different module?
Message 2 of 10
bungy22
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Do you have the stock 256 MB RAM module installed or a different module?

No I replaced the stock module a couple of years ago with a Crucial CT12864X335.
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On recent firmware some users have had issues with some 3rd party 1GB RAM modules. What happens if you put the stock 256MB RAM module back in?
Message 4 of 10
bungy22
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
On recent firmware some users have had issues with some 3rd party 1GB RAM modules. What happens if you put the stock 256MB RAM module back in?

That was it! Replaced the Crucial RAM with the stock RAM and it booted up (and started the FW update) right away. Not sure why the 3rd party RAM would give up after being installed for at least 3 years.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like there is some difficult to debug RAM compatibility issue that was introduced unintentionally.

What firmware were you updating from and did it update to 4.1.13 as you suspected?
Message 6 of 10
bungy22
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Sounds like there is some difficult to debug RAM compatibility issue that was introduced unintentionally.

What firmware were you updating from and did it update to 4.1.13 as you suspected?

It was running 4.1.12 prior to the update, and did update to 4.1.13. I took a look at the logs, and it updated to 4.1.12 in July last year. Now, as I have it on a UPS, this was the first time it had rebooted since upgrading to 4.1.12, so the issue could have been introduced in that load.
Message 7 of 10
dvgb173
Aspirant

I unknowingly had the same problem. Found this thread, found my 256MB RAM and NV+ came back up.
Now, how do I get it back to 1GB of RAM?
>>>> I took a look at the logs, and it updated to 4.1.12 in July last year. Now, as I have it on a UPS, this was the first time it had rebooted since upgrading to 4.1.12, so the issue could have been introduced in that load.<<<<
Mine has been on 4.1.12 since August 5, 2013, and it has booted several times without problem.
Problem showed up with the 4.1.13 FW reboot.
Anyone running 4.1.13 with 1GB RAM?

bungy22
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Doug B.
Message 8 of 10
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

This would be great to know, as I have 4.1.8 right now because of previous 1GB RAM issues, so I avoided 4.1.10, but now we're at 4.1.13 and I have OSX Mavericks and need 4.1.13 for Time Machine backups, so I might have to go back to 256MB, unless others have gotten it to work?
Message 9 of 10
scootle
Aspirant

ChrisMc73 wrote:
This would be great to know, as I have 4.1.8 right now because of previous 1GB RAM issues, so I avoided 4.1.10, but now we're at 4.1.13 and I have OSX Mavericks and need 4.1.13 for Time Machine backups, so I might have to go back to 256MB, unless others have gotten it to work?

I resurrected my old ReadyNAS NV today and ran into this same issue... given 4.1.13 is the most recent (and last) version of firmware available to us old(er) SPARC users... are we SoL for using anything other than the stock RAM? I had previously upgraded to a 1GB stick of RAM (Crucial/Micron) that seems to be incompatible now... I'm back on the 256MB stock stick just to get the system to boot properly.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements