× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NVX FrontView is showing old dead disk after replacement / resync OK (and ssh shows all

dlinacre
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NVX FrontView is showing old dead disk after replacement / resync OK (and ssh shows all OK)

ReadyNAS NVX FrontView drive 3 (Seagate 1.5 TB) failed. Replaced with new drive (Hitachi 2 TB). Resync'd OK and logical volume shows redundant again in FrontView.

However, FrontView is showing the old dead Seagate 1.5 TB drive in slot 3. Logged in as root with ssh, which shows all drives present and OK (including the new Hitachi 2TB drive in slot 3). Rebooting makes no difference.

Is there a way to force FrontView to re-read the drives? Or reset FrontView, without destroying the logical volume (which has continued to work fine throughout).

Many thanks.

Model: RRSBS01-10000S|ReadyRECOVER Small Business Server Edition
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
dlinacre
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NVX FrontView is showing old dead disk after replacement / resync OK (and ssh shows all

It's fixed, but to do so without factory defaulting the unit and restoring the data from backup, I had to buy an identical Seagate drive to the one that failed; let the unit rebuild onto that drive; and then remove that drive; and finally put the larger Hitachi drive in it's place. Everything is now fine. I have a Seagate drive that I arguably don't need of course, but it was cheap and can always be used in a PC or added to a USB backup enclosure. Happy days! Many thanks for the help and advice along the way.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What disk is RAIDar showing?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. RAIDar shows the old disk, much the same as FrontView does. However, RAIDar shows the disk as being OK (green light) whereas FrontView shows it as 'dead'. It's only when actually issuing Linux commands via ssh that I see the new disk in the system. I actually watched as the unit tested and accepted the new disk, and went through the re-sync process OK. Additionally, FrontView and RAIRas both show the volume as redundant. 

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You might try shutting down the NAS and disconnecting it from power for a while.  The idea is to purge all the bios state.  Then reboot and see if the ReadyNAS application shows the correct disk information.

Message 4 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

Will do. Thanks again for your continued assistance. 

Message 5 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

Update: I had it powered down (and unplugged) for c. 5 hours. Having booted it backup though, nothing has changed. FrontView is still showing the old (dead) drive. Grateful for any further ideas about troubleshooting / resolving the issue. Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you wait for Frontview to recognize that the drive was removed before you re-inserted the new one?  It should be in the log, too.

Back when I had a Pro6 on 4.2.x, I got into a really odd situation where drives were declared dead that weren't.  I once had three supposedly dead drives with a fully operational and redundant volume. The Jedi were still around then, and nothing they suggested worked.  I pukllked drives, zeroed them, and let them re-sync; but in time, the problem returned.  I ultimately decided that since I had a good backup, I'd factory default and start over.  I never saw the issue again.  I was never sure how I got there.

Of course, that was a few OS versions back, as I converted to OS6 quite a while ago.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dlinacre wrote:

Update: I had it powered down (and unplugged) for c. 5 hours. Having booted it backup though, nothing has changed. FrontView is still showing the old (dead) drive. Grateful for any further ideas about troubleshooting / resolving the issue. Thanks again. 

One option is to remove the (new) drive with the NAS, and reboot.  Then hot-insert the new drive again.  The NAS will resync, and hopefully get the correct drive label this time.

It would be best to make sure your backup is up to date before doing this.

Message 8 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

Yeah. Definately. I had to remove the dead drive from the tray and screw the new drive in, so plenty of time for the unit to recognise the old disk had been removed. Log shows that too. 

Message 9 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll try removing and re-inserting the drive again. I did try that before the extended power out tried earlier. But maybe it will work now. Certainly worth a try. Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

No change after removing and re-inserting the drive. The unit recognised disk removed / disk added; tested the disk OK; and proceeded to resync, which again worked OK. However, it still shows the disk as 'dead' and with the previous disk's make/model - even though the volume shows as 'redundant'. Images as below. Very strange.

rn1.PNGrn2.PNG

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

One longer-term consequence of the issue is that you likely won't see any indications if the new disk starts to fail.

Though it is extreme, you could clear it by backing up the data, doing a factory reset, rebuilding the NAS and restoring the data from backup.

Message 12 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

That's pretty much what I feared I'd have to do. The data is all backed up on USB drives, but it's a pain to do a complete restore. Thanks for your help, anyway. I guess I'll bite that factory reset / restore bullet over the weekend! 

Message 13 of 14
dlinacre
Aspirant

It's fixed, but to do so without factory defaulting the unit and restoring the data from backup, I had to buy an identical Seagate drive to the one that failed; let the unit rebuild onto that drive; and then remove that drive; and finally put the larger Hitachi drive in it's place. Everything is now fine. I have a Seagate drive that I arguably don't need of course, but it was cheap and can always be used in a PC or added to a USB backup enclosure. Happy days! Many thanks for the help and advice along the way.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements