× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NVX Not Expanding Storage

tgtbatq
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NVX Not Expanding Storage

I inherited this from the company I work at, and it's been working flawlessly as storage for my home Plex server (couldn't ever get plex plugin to work on the NAS (I guess one issue at a time), so it's just using shares with plex app installed on my home computer, pointed to the share)

However, time came for me to upgrade the disk space, as it came with 4x 1tb drives totalling 2759 GB of usable space.

I installed a brand new 3tb hard drive, and it scanned and everything completed, RAIDar is showing all is healthy -- however, the usable space hasn't changed, despite RAIDar and Frontview both seeing the 3tb drive installed and healthy.

In FrontView, I can see all of the disks and they are as follows:

Raid Level X-RAID2, 4 disks, Redundant

Ch 1: 931 GB (927GB allocated)

Ch 2: 931 GB (927GB allocated)

Ch 3: 931 GB (927GB allocated)

Ch 4: 2794 GB (927GB allocated)

I've restarted for 10 minutes, I've taken the disk out and back in so it rebuilt, I've left it off for an entire night (approx 8~ hours) and still nothing. I forgot to mention, this is running RAIDiator 4.2.30

Thank you so much in advance for any light anyone can shed on this.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDX4410|ReadyNAS NVX
Message 1 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

X-RAID needs at least two drives to create a RAID (sub)array with redundancy. This should be documented. Have you checked the user manual?

Message 2 of 7
tgtbatq
Aspirant

So are you saying that I'll need two 3tb drives for it to show any increase in space, and adding one doesn't do anything? I have 4/4 drive bays filled up, but only one is 3tb -- the other 3 are 1tb each.

Message 3 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 4 of 7
tgtbatq
Aspirant

So can I just re-seat one of the current drives and then it will rebuild?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

If you want it to grow, you need to replace another 1 TB disk with a 3 TB model.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The unit is set for XRAID redundancy, which is built in layers.  You currently have a 4x1TB array (which yields 2.71TiB plus redundancy) and an extra 2TB on the 3TB drive with nothing to pair itself with for redundancy.  If you swap another 1TB for a 3TB, then you will retain the 4x1TB layer and add a 2x2TB layer.  Each of the other 1TB's can be swapped later for a 3TB and add another 2TB.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements