× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NVX boot and restart problem

Kardano
Luminary

ReadyNAS NVX boot and restart problem

Hello,

I gety my hands on old NVX unit. It is RNDX4250, FW 4.2.31. I inserted my 4 WD20EFXR disks.

Unit has a strange behaviour/error on 2 occasions:

1. When i get to restart unit (shutdown and reboot device) unit "reboot" and hang up BEFORE showing anything on LCD. LCD stays off, Led of disk 2 is lit and blue led on power button is blinking. In this time is NAS not detectable.

2. When i get start unit after it was power down (timer, correct shut down, etc.) for some time, unit hang up BEFORE showing anything on LCD. LCD stays off, Led of disk 2 is lit and blue led on power button is blinking. In this time is NAS not detectable.

IF i power down unit in this state with holding power button and then pull out and reseat 1 of disk trays, Unit bootup just fine as if nothing happened before.

Disks are all fine (tested), mem test of unit 3 passes OK.

It was tray on position1 on the start. When i insert this specific disk tray to another position 1-4, unit start AFTER reseating THIS one specific tray in position (slot) where tray was inserted.

I tried all positions. Tried to change disks in tray (disk remained in their respective positions I changed trays only), scratch disk....Still the same.

If i use this specific (this piece) disk tray, No mather what position, no mather which disk, unit stuck before booting until shut down and reseating of tray is done.

Is it possible that that tray is bad somehow? I do not have a spare tray. My all other units are RN1x - RN3x... Or it is possible to get a spare tray somewhere? (in Europe)...

Thanks for your ideas or help.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDX4250|ReadyNAS NVX
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NVX boot and restart problem

@Kardano wrote:

If i use this specific (this piece) disk tray, No mather what position, no mather which disk, unit stuck before booting until shut down and reseating of tray is done.

Is it possible that that tray is bad somehow?

This isn't a symptom I've seen posted before, but it does sound like something isn't quite right with the disk tray.  I'm not sure exactly what would cause this particular symptom - though it would somehow linked to not having a solid connection to the SATA or power connector on the disk.

The part number is RND4TRAY1-10000S, which might help googling.  They are hard to find. Newer trays have a square latch button, the older design with the circular button tended to jam.  Both will work.

Also, sometimes you will see older ReadyNAS sold for parts.  So perhaps look for that also.  Note that rackmount ReadyNAS use a different tray design, so those won't work in your NVX.  But Pro, Ultra, Duo v1, Duo v2, NV+ v1, NV+ v2 trays will all fit.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NVX boot and restart problem

@Kardano wrote:

Is it possible that that tray is bad somehow?

This isn't a symptom I've seen posted before, but it does sound like something isn't quite right with the disk tray.  I'm not sure exactly what would cause this particular symptom - though it would somehow linked to not having a solid connection to the SATA or power connector on the disk.

The part number is RND4TRAY1-10000S, which might help googling.  They are hard to find. Newer trays have a square latch button, the older design with the circular button tended to jam.  Both will work.

Also, sometimes you will see older ReadyNAS sold for parts.  So perhaps look for that also.  Note that rackmount ReadyNAS use a different tray design, so those won't work in your NVX.  But Pro, Ultra, Duo v1, Duo v2, NV+ v1, NV+ v2 trays will all fit.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements