× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0 (Hotfix 2) - problems after update from 6.9.5

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0 (Hotfix 2) - problems after update from 6.9.5

Hi.

A big problem after upgrading from version 6.9.5 to 6.10.0.0 / patch 2).

Until the previous firmware version in case of power loss due to power failure, the NAS restarted without any problems by going online after a few minutes.

Now, with 6.10.0.0, instead, in the case described above, after booting, the system performs a new resynchronization of the data! So about four days of work for a simple jump of the electric current!

Why all this ??

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The NAS will resync if it detects that one of the disks is a bit behind the others (due to missed writes).  But when the disks are out of sync, it is also possible to lose data (depending on what writes were missed).

I always recommend a UPS.  Lots of data loss stories here start with an unexpected power cut.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

It has nothing to do with the OS revision (at least, not since a change made several versions back), it has to do with what your NAS is doing when the outage hits.  It sounds to me like you really need an UPS.

Message 2 of 6

Maybe you didn't understand well what I wrote. I have had this NAS for five years and in all this time it had never happened that after a power surge on reboot a resynchronization started. It only happened after updating to firmware 6.10.0: is it just a coincidence? I don't think so.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It is common for the NAS to do a resync after an unexpected power cut.   

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I understood.  At one point (I forget which update, but it's been a while), Netgear did change from having caching enabled only when an UPS was detected to having it on all the time.  Before that time, it was less likely that a sudden power loss would result in a re-sync, and that may account for some of your history with it.  But since that change, it's common.  You apparently got lucky a lot or just had fewer interruptions, and thus fewer chances.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The NAS will resync if it detects that one of the disks is a bit behind the others (due to missed writes).  But when the disks are out of sync, it is also possible to lose data (depending on what writes were missed).

I always recommend a UPS.  Lots of data loss stories here start with an unexpected power cut.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements