× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 => sometimes lost connection

Lennardo
Tutor

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 => sometimes lost connection

Hallo,

i've installed new OS on my 314 and get faster directory-access. all others seems the same, excep transferrate (little bit lower). But yesterday 5x and today 2x i lost connection to NAS from my Mediacenter (Macmini) while watching a film (AFP). This is really annoying because i need to wait 3-5 min to reconnect to NAS. It looks disappeared from network (but is reachable at web). Same problem seems at a Win7-machine (SMB).

With previous versions i never had this problems except 6.4.1 There was the same problem but not so often.

Is it possible to go back to a previous version (e.g. 4.6.0)? Is there anywhere a instruction for this?

ReadyNAS 314, OS6.4.2, AV disabled

Thank you

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can drop back to 6.4.0 easily - just download the zip here:http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938/~/readynas-os-version-6.4.0  Extract the image from the zip, and then use the manual install button on system->settings.

Its hard to go further back (and it would require a factory reset among other things).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can drop back to 6.4.0 easily - just download the zip here:http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938/~/readynas-os-version-6.4.0  Extract the image from the zip, and then use the manual install button on system->settings.

Its hard to go further back (and it would require a factory reset among other things).

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Before you downgrade (if you wish to) can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 13
Lennardo
Tutor

you got mail.

Thanks for your help.

Tschüß

Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your data volume is extremely full (94%) and you set this up back on 6.1.2.

I would suggest freeing up some space on this NAS (e.g. by deleting some older snapshots). Ideally volume usage should be kept to under 80%.

I can see you have a lot of snapshots and a lot of metadata. What kind of data are you storing on this NAS?

Message 5 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Lennardo,

Here is an article in case you need steps how to delete old snapshot: How do I delete snapshots using the recovery mode on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Delete only the ones you do not need, the snapshots indicate the date they were taken.

Regards,

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

Delete only the ones you do not need, the snapshots indicate the date they were taken.

Usually you won't gain any space unless you delete the oldest.  So you need to work oldest->newest.  Also, the space savings don't always show up right away.

Message 7 of 13
Lennardo
Tutor

Hallo,

@mdgm wrote:

Your data volume is extremely full (94%) and you set this up back on 6.1.2.

not 6.1.2, i want to go back to 6.4.0

This NAS is storage for some families in our house. It contain a Time Machine (1,5TB), Photos(1,5TB), Office-data (doc, xls, ...), Music and some EyeTV-achives (films and TVshows). These Films and TVshows are the biggest part with around 4TB of using space (and the easiest way to clean up).

I will get the usage below 80% but i think this wont fix the connection problem. Maybe this bring back a bit of speed, right?

Thank you

Message 8 of 13
Lennardo
Tutor

Hallo,

@StephenB wrote:

@JennC wrote:

Usually you won't gain any space unless you delete the oldest.  So you need to work oldest->newest.  Also, the space savings don't always show up right away.

It would be great to know which snapshot need how much space. So i know in advance how much i can free or which shapshot is the efficientist to delete.

Thank you all

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Lennardo wrote:

It would be great to know which snapshot need how much space. So i know in advance how much i can free or which shapshot is the efficientist to delete.

It would be great, but I don't think BTRFS has the tools to tell you.

A snapshot takes no space when it is created.  As files change in the main share, the original versions essentially migrate to the snapshots that were taken after the original version was created.  As files are deleted, the old versions similarly migrate to the snapshots.   New files added to the share don't increase the space used in the snapshots.

Anyway, what I do is delete the oldest snapshots until I free enough space.  That is not guaranteed to be optimal, but it is usually a good strategy - and it makes it easy to know how much file history I actually have.

Message 10 of 13
Lennardo
Tutor

Hallo,

@StephenB wrote:

@Lennardo wrote:

It would be great, but I don't think BTRFS has the tools to tell you.

6.4.2 tell you the size of all snapshots if you look at system/volume (sorry i cant name exact because i have a new problem: admin page dropout), so the system should be able to give the size of each single snapshoot.

Tschüß

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Lennardo wrote:

6.4.2 tell you the size of all snapshots if you look at system/volume (sorry i cant name exact because i have a new problem: admin page dropout), so the system should be able to give the size of each single snapshoot.

Well, its not quite that simple. 

The challenge is that the common datablocks are shared across multiple snapshots.  For each snapshot you can see tell how much data is unique to the snapshot, but usually the bulk of the data is linked into more than one snapshot.

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Only in the unusual situation where a large amount of data was added a snapshot was taken and then it was deleted before the next snapshot would the unique usage by a snapshot be of much use for knowing which to delete to free up data.

Of course you can compare the differences between any two snapshots but that could be quite time consuming, particularly if there is a lot of data on the share.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements