× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS PRO 6 stuck at powering off (OS 6.4.2)

Supertramp11
Luminary

ReadyNAS PRO 6 stuck at powering off (OS 6.4.2)

I just upgraded my ReadyNAS PRO 6 from OS 6.3.5 to OS 6.4.2.

Although I received a server error message in after doing the local update, the NAS did upgrade its firmware when I rebooted.

Now I'm trying to shut it down using the power button an it is stuck at Powering off - Goodbye.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS PRO 6 stuck at powering off (OS 6.4.2)

Hi Supertramp11,

Forced shutdown procedure should not cause any loss of data. It is a safe procedure that can be done if the unit is in this state or not responding.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team​​

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Supertramp11,

Haven't seen or heard a shutdown problem with 6.4.2. Could you unplug the power cord and try to power it up again, and test the shutdown function via UI and power button.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your quick reply. If I unplug the powercord do I then put my data at risk? Needless to say that I do have a backup.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Supertramp11,

Forced shutdown procedure should not cause any loss of data. It is a safe procedure that can be done if the unit is in this state or not responding.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team​​

Message 4 of 10
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks again Brian.

I did as you suggested as the NAS shuts down properly both using the UI and the power button.

Perhaps the issue was caused by the error message that I received in the UI when trying the local update: Unrecognized server error.

When I rebooted the NAS, it did upgrade its FW to 6.4.2. The subsequent shutdown caused the powering off issue.

All is fine now, so many thanks for your support Brian!!

Message 5 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Supertamp11,

You're welcome! I agree, probably that's the reason why it didn't completely shutdown.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
Supertramp11
Luminary

Just to complete the story on the "Unrecognized server error" when doing the local update:

This is only happening with Microsoft Edge. When using Internet Explorer all works as it should.

Running my PRO 6 now with OS 6.4.2 🙂 So far so good !

Message 7 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Supertramp11,

Thanks for providing additional information to the problem that you've experienced updating the firmware of your device. Anyway, since the unit is now running 6.4.2, can you confirm if you can access and navigate the admin page using Microsoft Edge?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi Brian,

Yes, accessing and navigating the admin page using Microsoft Edge works fine. It's only the local update that creates the error popup after you browse for the FW image and click Upload. It actually does upload the FW despite the error. I found this out when rebooting the NAS.

Page 10 of the ReadyNAS OS 6.4 Software Manual (December 2015) says under Supported Browsers: "If you experience difficulty accessing the local admin page or if you notice unexpected behavior, try using another browser.", so the documentation is correct.

Thanks again for your support!

Best regards.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I think Edge is still a work-in-progress, though it has improved since last summer.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements