× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS PRO Business unusable

pszilard
Aspirant

ReadyNAS PRO Business unusable

I have a ReadyNAS Pro Businesss with 2GB RAM and 6x 2TB WD Red drives. It has the current OS, which I think is 4.2.27
It is backed up to a ReadyNAS Pro4, twice weekly, using rsync. (Thank God for this!)

Starting last week, the PRO reported disk #6 as needing replacement. So I replaced it with a Seagate 2TB, which had been tested as 100% good with Spinrite, (hot swapped) and the system started a rebuild. I put the pulled drive onto a test PC and ran Spinrite v6 mode 4 to test the drive for bad sectors. After 37hrs of testing it reported the drive to be 100% perfect, with not a single error!

Meanwhile the PRO finished rebuilding, but the shares became Read Only. I should also say that this is a Home Office and I am the only user, so I have no need for any security restrictions and run my nases with full Read/Write access for all user ids. But back to my sad story.

I then pulled the Seagate 2TB drive in position 6 and put back the tested 2TB Red drive. Now I am getting a little woolie with all the coming errors, however I have a multitude of bad things happen:

• I had the BOOT message stuck. Waited about 2hrs before power cycling (Raidar didn't detect the Pro).

• I had FS check stuck on 1% for hours and no detection by Raidar and no login

• I had the system complete FS check, come up as normal, including Read/Write on the shares. Then I started a Backup task to get the latest updates off, and the system worked for about 15 minutes, and then just powered off! Incidentally, it is located underneath an aircon vent and I had cool air directed at it, so ambient is 22 deg C and drives are at 36 deg C - so no overheating possible.

• I had it complete a FS check, then I selected Restart and run full FS check, then system would hang on reboot, then after power cycling, would hang on FS check at 1%

• It has repeatedly told me to run fsck manually, but I don't know how to do that! - Can someone please post a URL on doing that?

When the system occasionally comes up, now, it reports all drives are ok. I don't know if the PRO has a hardware fault, or a FS fault. (Note, once in a while it had come up and working for 15 minutes).

I am worried in case the PRO4 develops any issues, as that is my only backup, so I am installing a 3rd NAS (4x 4TB) and will be trying to copy the PRO4 contents to that.

I would really appreciate some suggestions on how to proceed with the PRO.

Current status: Stuck on FS check at 1% for 2 hrs, not detectable by Raidar and cannot connect by browser. I am about to power cycle again.
Message 1 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

What if you try to pull-out the 2TB WD Red drive from the 6th bay? Check if your Pro Business will boot up normally with the remaining 5 disks inside.

Run an Extended test on the 2TB WD Red drive using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =612&sid=3
Message 2 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion. I shall download the WD test program. Currently the PRO is going through it FS check, yet again 🙂

Can you point me to some instructions on how to do a "manual" fsck run? I am not proficient with Linux, so a step by step recipe would be most useful.
Message 3 of 10
itsjasper
Luminary

Paul, if you get really stuck, I have a spare Pro chassis and am also in Sydney, if you wanted to test with another unit.

I'd also pm MDGM, though I'm sure he'll be along shortly (if not already) with an answer.
Message 4 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

Vow, Jasper! That is a most generous offer! (Are you working at Netgear?) I'll try not to trouble you, but I really appreciate your offer. 🙂

Could you tell me how I can run fsck manually? It must be documented somewhere, I just can't find it. Tried Google, of course.

I am going through my backups on the PRO4 and duping them to my #3 backup NAS, then intend to factory reset the PRO and reformat the drives, then copy everything back from the backups and see how that goes. My gut feeling is still that this is a software/file system issue, rather than h/w, which is why trying another chassis, whilst extremely kind, is probably not required.

Incidentally, I am in North Sydney. Which suburb are you in?
Message 5 of 10
itsjasper
Luminary

PMed.

I'm not a Netgear rep, just a regular forum user sharing some love. 🙂
Message 6 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

I've checked my backups, and I can afford to reformat the PRO, so now I am trying to figure what happened.

I have pulled all 6 drives and put them carefully aside. So I thought I would try with a Memory Test, with no HDDs installed. The Memory test freezes on

Time: 07 seconds
Prog: 0%
Pass: 0
Err: 0

So this would indicate hardware fault. Is it memory? Not sure, since it doesn't run the test.

Perhaps Jasper or someone can shed light on the described symptoms....

Meanwhile I am going to try re-seating the ram and see if that helps.
Message 7 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

Well, the memory was definitely not happy. So I've dug up my olde DDR2 ram sticks and found a 1GB and a 2GB that passed testing, so I am now trying them both, at the same time, under the assumption that the mobo is not running dual channel ram, so 2+1=3GB might work. So far the test is running with no errors, (20% done), so I am hopeful. 🙂
Message 8 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

Well, I be a monkey's uncle! It passed 100% good with 3GB ram. So I've reinstated the HDDs, and going to see if it can repair itself using a boot time FS check.
Message 9 of 10
pszilard
Aspirant

All's good now. Decided not to wait any longer. It took over night to get to 69% repair - without crashing, so I decided to just do a Factory Reset and then re-download and re-install the firmware. I will then use this as a backup and keep a close eye on it.

Case closed. Thanks to Jasper for the kind offer to help. You are a legend. We need more people like you in IT. 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements